1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air compressor recommentation

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Jun 5, 2022.

1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

2. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I don't think DeWalt has the reputation it might have once had...unless it's always been a bad rep.

The Husky's performance specs look better.

Couple questions...

- Do you do any track riding/driving?
    - Do you really think you will be doing any pro-level painting?
    - Is there a welding supply or CO2 gas distributor nearby?

...and the reason I ask is that you could get portable, pressurized gas in the form of a PowerTank. Been using one for decades. It has the same drawbacks as the limited capability of the two compressors you listed - it won't paint well and you can't run continuous air tools like grinders, etc.
    The PowerTank has one further drawback(?), it needs to be filled with CO2 occasionally. For track use, I was going a whole season (10+ events) of axle nut removal and tire changes between re-fills, including keeping the tow vehicle and trailer tires up to pressure. For home use with four vehicles, tire rotations, a garden tractor, utility quad and garden dump trailer, keeping up with all those tires and lug nuts has me filling roughly the same. Re-fill price just went up from ~$15 to ~$18 for a 15lb bottle. It costs about a nickel a day all year long. Cool thing is I can take it anywhere and still use air tools or fill tires. Price for basic new "Package A" is just under your $700 and you may find it cheaper from a distributor. Oh, and it's quiet. :D
    This one is the most basic with an appropriate amount of life between refills...about $570. For your money with one refill/year, that's seven years of use for $700...no electrical bill.
    https://powertank.com/collections/power-tank-packages/products/15-lb-basic-package-power-tank

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You'll want more cfm for painting

5. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Power tank is very interesting for around the house / garage. I will look into it.

Professional sort of. It is for a friend who currently has my 33 gal Craftsman 8.6 cfm at 40 and 6.1 at 90 and says it does ok. I want to get him better than ok but not break the bank since I owe him, but not that much. He is very particular / detail oriented and does occasional paid painting and repair of boat skulls and oars. He claims there is no 120v compressor that will truly satisfy the needs of HVLP painting. He does not have 240. I am thinking 2 stage would help.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You're going backwards with your above choices. I'd start by getting your friend 240VAC.

7. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

8. gonriding

gonriding Well-Known Member

9. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Just like auto jacks. There’s only a few company’s that make compressor engines. Get a good but low cost one. It will serve you well for many many years.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

and those motors need 25+ amps to run...