1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AiM Solo 2 DL will not read ECU data through Ninja 300 KDS diag plug

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Ungarisch, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Ungarisch

Ungarisch Well-Known Member

I got the Solo 2 DL, and while AiM's site only lists the ZX6r and ZX10r as supported models, as those use the newer CAN-Bus based communications, and it did not specifically list the Ninja 300 as a supported model, though it did list support for data over K-Line using the KWP2000 language, which is what the Ninja 300 and all other Kawasaki's uses.

I got my Solo2DL, created my own 4-pin KDS connector to OBD2 port harness, connected it up, changed the ECU protocol to KWP2000 in the software, but the AiM does not recognize any data parameters besides battery voltage, which I assume it gets through measured powersupply voltage and not actual ECU communications data.

Has anyone ever connected a data logger to their non-CAN-Bus based Kawasaki? Considering the N300 and N400 are very, very common race bike I would find it really strange if the AiM could not communicate with it, meanwhile my shitty little $30 Chinese gear position calculator can read RPM through the diag plug no problem...

I have ordered an ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 dongle to make sure that it can communicate with the ECU and that it;s not my harness that's the problem, though I really don't think I could have messed up connecting the 3 wires (K-Line, 12V and ground). I also tried connecting with and without the L-Line but on the AiM OBD2 harness the K-Line and L-Line are spliced together.

I guess my other option is to read RPM though the coil winding, but I also wanted to log throttle position.

2. Ducmaz

Ducmaz New Member

Interested to know how you went with this. Just about to try it myself.

3. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

In for help on this too. I tried to connect my EX650 to the DL doing the same and loaded the protocol and got nothing. I was thinking about getting a serial port sniffer to make sure data is coming off the K-line like I think it should be but I just stopped messing with it after a while.

4. Ungarisch

never got it to work, I'll be posting up my AIM in the classifieds. I'm probably getting a 5th gen ZX10r early next year, and for that I'm for sure getting the full plug and play AIM dash.

Kinda disappointed in AIM for not supporting arguably the most common low capacity race bike used currently...

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

How much for the aim?

6. Ungarisch

$630 shipped. I'll include the RAM mount plate as well

7. racerhead

racerhead Trackaholic

8. Monsterdood

Can you share a little more info on what this interfaces to? I see in the pic, one side plugs into the AIM Solo DL, but what does the other side plug into? The K-line wires? V+, V-, signal ? Or something else? Does the Solo2 DL get power from this interface box?

9. racerhead

racerhead Trackaholic

The other side of the box is wired into the ECU inputs and the box then converts the ECU 0-5V signals into a CAn message for the Solo.
    It does need some wiring skills to fit but is pretty straight forward.

Monsterdood likes this.
  10. This. The AIM reads specific signal inputs from the can bus. It’s not as simple as just picking up the signal as it needs to be converted into a form it can read. I hooked up one to my night fishing boat and had to convert the signals. I was fortunate enough to have one of my interns build me a “signal converter” and it works great. At one point I was running a Motec dash but it is a bit too pricey to be leaving on a boat to get stolen, especially for the thief who won’t know what to do with it.

11. April Systems are very helpful folks, give them a call.

12. Monsterdood

No joke there. I went ahead and ordered one of their signal converters and the main guy, Mike, emailed me right away to clarify if I was using a SoloDL or a Solo2DL and if it was for a motorcycle or a car (wire lengths). He also shared the interface document that shows the pin wiring and the communications protocol for getting the Solo2 DL to read the bus traffic from the converter. He asked if I needed any additional channels as the converter can take up to 9 channels running at 10Hz. It seems like I could add suspension pots in the future and build a very low cost data system without splurging for an AIM EVO4 or something similar (lighter weight too!). I'm impressed so far and excited to see what I could make this do now. Watch out @Gino230 , if I have data to show when I'm babying the brakes and the throttle, I'm bound to find a lot of time.... :)

Gino230 likes this.
  13. Same level of service I rec’s from them. I met them over in the BSB paddock as I think their interface was used as part of standard kit in the junior class. Ran the idea of converting signals from my boat to use the spare dash I had, no real need for me to do it but more of a just because it’s an all in one and can have rev warning lights where I want them. I now have all my trim, temps (including oil temp), water pressure, etc in one gage. A buddy of mine has since found a used one and installed the same setup. Way better than the Mercury stuff with all their proprietary software etc. Glad they got you sorted out. Great company with awesome customer service.

Monsterdood likes this.
  14. Monsterdood

Mike advised that the protocol allows for 3 analogue signals so I can do throttle brake and 1 pot or maybe throttle and 2 pots to help with suspension setup and then switch to throttle and brake to work on lap times. Also, he noted, rightly so, that the 10Hz sampling rate wouldn’t be enough for detailed suspension analysis (damping) but could help with general analysis of stroke / pitch / bottoming out.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

That's some cool tech for a great price.

16. racerhead

racerhead Trackaholic

+1 On that

Extremely responsive and helpful.

17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I'm still using the plain AIM Solo, but watching Chloe's AIM seminars has gotten me thinking about more data channels. On these LW bikes I'm not so sure throttle position and Brake pressure will pay as much in dividends- we tend to get to full throttle pretty quickly- and the throttle position /brake pressure graph would probably look very similar to the Longitudinal G trace.

The RPM would be nice to have for gearing setup or gear selection. On one of the AIM seminars they were showing the suspension travel and that was guiding them towards which way to go with spring changes. My mechanic is a big time bike data nerd and he is pushing me towards an A-racer ECU and Solo DL2. My ECU setup is working very well right now and I am hesitant to do all of that just for more tuning options and some data inputs. I got enough to work on riding wise without re-wiring the bike. Plus I just splurged on a spare engine build so..... RIP winter budget....

TurboBlew and Monsterdood like this.
  18. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Is this April systems in the uk?

I'm looking for a basic system to add suspension travel to ecu data for a gsxr 750. Cheaper and lighter is always nice....

19. Monsterdood

Just got mine in the mail today. £14 shipping and got here faster than USPS from within the US. It will be a nice winter project to wire up and install.

20. I think suspension travel is likely a very good data point to have. Rate of change will tell you if you have insufficient damping too, for rebound at least.

I’m no expert, just getting into it myself. Chloe’s AiM videos are excellent! I loved them!

I am using the Solo2 DL on my zx-10r, what I want to add is secondary throttle position (2012 bike predates ride by wire throttle) so I can see where TC is intervening.

Rob