1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AiM Smartycam on board video

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Feb 26, 2019.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Looking at a nice on board video setup with GPS data and it seems like AiM is the only player at 'reasonable' (if it can be called that) money. The AiM unit integrates with the Solo2DL lap timer easily but costs $1k-ish. https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/products/smartycam-gp-hd-rev2.2/index.htm

I've looked at VBox/Racelogic and they're easily double the cost, even the LITE version is $1500 https://www.vboxmotorsport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_28&product_id=91

Also see some people just using the basic GPS functions of current GoPro with ok results, but no throttle/brake readouts obviously and the lap times accuracy apparently isn't amazing. Others say the GoPros haven't lasted all that well with long term vibrations.

Are there any other players that are worth looking at?

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Dashware is free software software that will let u overlay GPS data onto any video. I occasionally use it to overlay AiM Solo data onto vids from a few different cameras.

nlzmo400r likes this.
  3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Doesn't the HERO 7 Black have G's, speed, and GPS position? I don't know how accurate you are looking to be, if you're trying to use it for some type of analysis or what. But even if it dies from vibration, you could buy a couple of them for the price of the smartycam setup....

4. nlzmo400r

I know for sure they display speed and GPS position. I've heard mixed reviews. Those who have used nothing else say it's really cool to see. I'd like to be as accurate as possible, but considering the Solo2 DL is $300 more than the 'lap timer' Solo2, AND the camera setup is ANOTHER $1K....$1300 is hard to justify unless I know it's many steps beyond a gorpro-ish setup.

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

do u regularly watch your own riding videos? IMO, video including overlays is just a cool thing to show your friends. after u make a few, the cool part goes away and u stop bothering.

riding analysis is accomplished with the data and graphs from a logger like the Solo. u don't need video to figure out how/why u went slower/faster.

Gino230 likes this.
  6. nlzmo400r

I haven't video'd my riding at all in the past couple of years because it's been sporadic (marriage, babies etc) and my equipment is old :GoPro Hero original, no GPS based lap timer. I'm only considering this because I want to delve down the data collection/analyzation hole and learn more about it, how to use it etc. But you're right, I probably don't need video at all to really get the benefit of what I'm chasing. It just adds to the 'cool factor'.

7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

From what I remember, the only advantage of the solo DL (aside from the ability to expand into the smartycam) is that you can plug it into your bike's harness and get Throttle position and RPM.

FWIW, I have never seen that as an obstacle to figuring out if I could accelerate harder. It might be helpful to someone running 1-2 sec off the pro pace, but for me I have to make big chunks of time so 500 RPM here or there is not as significant. You can still see the acceleration trace (rate of acceleration) and G force trace so you still get an idea.

IMO the biggest obstacle to learning to go faster using data is- you need someone else's (faster) data to compare to yours to see where you're really missing out. I have done this by lending my lap timer out to faster guys, and simply downloading some faster guy's AIM data. But that isn't always an option.

8. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

I just use a regular go pro and a solo dl. The camera is helpful after races to see where you might be gaining or losing time. The solo data is good to see why that might be the case. The SoloDL doesn't have some of the key inputs like throttle position or brake pressure (bike dependant) but between math channels and GPS the data is really valuable.

I've never bothered to try to overlay data on the video.

A great resource for math channels and data overall : https://www.datamc.org