1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket subframes

Discussion in 'Tech' started by piper907, Dec 17, 2007.

1. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

Looks like I may be in the market for an aftermarket subframe for my 07 GSXR 600 and I wanted to get some opinions from those of you that have used them. Seems there aren't many people making subframes for these bikes either. I have been looking at the R&R subframes (200$) as well as the Yoyodyne (400$). Any reccomendations??? any to stay away from???

also... let me know if you have one that you want to sell.

2. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I bought one from R&R and love it. They have outstanding customer service as well. Call and ask for Brett, he'll take care of you. The one I got is for an 04 Gsx-R 600.

3. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

We like the Yoyodyne ones. They fit and have held up well in crashes.
    The aluminum used is both strong and ductile, allowing the subframe to be tweaked back into shape after most get offs.
    If you had a chance to check one out in person, you would think that they are worth way more than $400

4. gix

gix jigga who?

i have also used r&r and was satisfied with both price and service.

5. piper907

Just looking at the photo of the R&R subframe for the K6/7 600 I am wondering if there is a decent spot to mount the tail section???

6. gixxersmitty

Thats the only downside to the R&R subframes is the lack of holes to mount certain parts of the tailsection. The entire battery tray on my bike, with the exception of 2 bolts in the rear, is zip tied to the subframe. Aside from that its a great product. Now keep in mind that this is the only aftermarket subframe that I have used so I cant say whether it is better than any of the competition or not. I can just say that I am pleased with the one that I have.

7. gix

gix jigga who?

i made a bracket for the battery tray so i didnt have to use zip ties

8. gixxersmitty

I had thought about it but had never gotten around to it. I guess I need to do that.

9. piper907

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated:)

10. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

subframes

Chris Spohn, in Allentown, PA makes lightweight tubular subframes for late-model sportbikes. His email address is [email protected].

His website enduranceengineering.com is pretty basic, but Chris is a great guy and a stay-at-home Dad who welds subframes and fairing stays while his toddler is napping. Call or email him for specific details of what you need. He's da bomb. Tell him I said Hi!

11. piper907

thanks chicken... I shot him an e-mail! we'll see what he has to say :)

12. orgsxrracer

orgsxrracer Well-Known Member

overthetop.ca used to make some stuff as well. Not sure if they are still around or not.

13. ffkevinking

ffkevinking Well-Known Member

chris

chris is a gret guy and builds really nice stuff. i'll be using another of his subframes on the new kawi soon. i would def recommend him. kev

14. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

The yoyodyne subframe fits perfectly and is very well made, well worth the $.

15. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

+1000

We ran one on our 2004 R1 superbike and it survived two BIG (150+mph) crashes very well! one was lowside (dont ask) and the other end over end one it got slighly tweaked, but then fixed it in 5 mins!

Our R6 superbike's one bolted on with eyes closed, and was fxxxking beautiful! Piper, you've seen both our bikes...the sebi ones rock!!

16. ed who?

justin, no offense, but they fit like poo! (justin and i are friends, so not flaming) our racer Tom Wertman was importing them, and we had a HORRID time on both his GSXR and ZX 10 one he had on it.....again, just my findings from seeing/working with them

17. piper907

Yea Eric... all the other aftermarket subframes I have been looking at were made with a superbike tail in mind. I think it will be worth a couple bucks to be able to bolt it up and go. I will be getting in touch with you when I am ready to order one up:up:

18. ed who?

Piper, our 2007 R6 has a Sebimoto subframe and at first we used the superbike Sebimoto tail with HRC seat pad...fit 100% perfectly

Then Mark Gulin (rider) wanted the oem seat so more like his SS bike...so we put on an attack ss tailsection and stock seat..fit 100% perfectly again. Our R1 sebi moto subframe we sold to a friend with a trackday bike and he is using with OEM bodywork and seat!!

I love sebi moto stuff...plus i get to flick fred at Yoyodyne poo everytime i talk to him

:cheers

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I like the look of the ones on Vesrahs bikes. :D

20. rdrcr15

rdrcr15 Well-Known Member

Are aftermaket subframes legal in superstock classes?