1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aftermarket gas cap that works?

Discussion in 'General' started by mm1854, May 25, 2016.

1. mm1854

mm1854 Member

Since I am eliminating the key switch on my 09 R6 by using the Woodcraft key switch elimination harness, I also want to replace my OEM gas cap with a keyless version. Second reason is that the OEM gas cap is surrounded by round grooves that would mess up my suit when sliding across the tank, so I fix that by putting a pieces of tape over to cover the grooves which would be one less thing to have to do with a change to aftermarket.

Problem is that I read horror stories on all the aftermarket solutions I can find. They all seem to not be able to vent properly, which is ironic when some seem to even spill gas during a crash causing fires. I have hit a wall here and would like to hear first hand experiences from the beeb. What do you recommend?

2. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

3. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

I like my vortex

4. SamG

SamG yellow plate for life!!

I use an Evotech.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I had one of the earlier gen Vortex ones and it sucked ass. As I understand it the later ones were revised and less prone to leakage, but I never bothered with them.

I've had a LighTech 1/4 turn quick-release cap for 5 fantastically trouble-free years. I'd have no reservations on recommending them.

[​IMG]

WANABE RACER and dsmitty37 like this.
  6. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

For the past 4 years, I've been using the Slingshot Racing (SSR Motorsports) billet fuel caps on both of my '08 R6 race bikes. No spectacular crashes with them, but the bikes have been on their side with no issues from the caps. After 4 years of use, there is some (minimal) fade in the black anodized finish, but not bad at all. If you're looking for a museum quality piece, its probably not for you. If your looking for functionality and price, IMHO you cannot beat it.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YZF-R3...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    r6boater likes this.
  7. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Knock off on ebay.....just choose wisely

Dragginass likes this.
  8. No.

Just no.

9. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

I have bought many off ebay and all were better than Vortex...deaper cut threads and better machine work so if you think spending the xtra cash is worth it go for it... you can have at it but I have seen first hand they are not junk. Some are some are not....just like leavers for my grom same shit ASV's are 130 and knock offs were 20

so you go girl.... but buy one from a good source and see there just fine :)

10. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

11. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Yup.................. Vortex too. But hey Im a sucker I got both off ebay for 20 shipped. Worked pissa even when my bike was Kart wheeling in turn 1

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

It all does the depend...I had I guess one of the older vortex gas caps on my zx6r And when it would rain, water would get in the fuel :(

13. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

My teammate finally got rid of his stock cap and picked up the Vortex cap to run on his '09 R6 this year. Needless to say, it's been the talk over the past two race weekends. It seems when he tightens the cap down (and not 'grizzly bear' tight either), the notch in the cap spins past the locking mechanism. So, in order to engage the locking mechanism (which is why he wanted the Vortex in the first place), he has to back the cap out a bit. Not sure if that affects the seal or not (we haven't laid his bike on the ground yet), but he's kind of an OCD guy, so it drives him nuts knowing the cap isn't tight and he mentions it all the time. And, like the good teammate that I am, I'll constantly remind him not to go fast and take chances on track because his fuel cap isn't tighten all the way. :D

cajun636 likes this.
  14. I have a fundamental problem with buying any of the Chinese knock-off shit on ebay, regardless of how good or bad it may be.

As far as those levers, there are numerous threads detailing failures with those. Several brand-based forums have "stickies" with many first hand reports of them failing, causing brake failures.

IF i was somebody was going to buy ebay knock-off shit, which i am not, I would limit it to things like decals, bar-ends, fender eliminator kits, etc. I wouldn't buy anything that contains/secures fluid, or is related to piloting/powering the bike in any way.

15. I haven't used a Vortex one since I had that Gixxer 750 race bike back in '09, but it was perfectly fine. Since then all of my bikes have had the Driven caps, and I like them a lot.

16. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Draik has had good luck with Sling Shot Racing caps. Had one on his ninja 250 as well as his SV 650.

17. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

I kind of figured the Vortex was back when you had the Gixxer (and were on Gixxer.com). I have no experience with the Driven cap ... and maybe the quality justifies the price tag (actually tags, for both required parts). If you have the coin and/or don't mind spending it, Driven might be the right cap for someone (again, no experience here). However, there are other less costly alternatives available out there that get the job done.

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

also had this on my Speed Triple. no troubles at all.