1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermarket clip ons not staying put on fork tube

Discussion in 'General' started by 05Yamabomber, Jul 4, 2018.

1. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

are they 'clip ons' or 'bolt ons'? lol

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You're right they fit. I'm out. :bow:

3. It’s for a good cause. Heck I’ll donate it for you then :). Seriously I will. I’ll do it late tonight tomorrow. Steel toe Clipons :)

4. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Haha, always a pleasure on here when I ask a question. I can safely say the gaps were not even when I installed them, the inner side is a PIA to access with my tool as the frame gets in the way so I tightened that side all the way down then used the outer bolts to get the bite. That seems to be my downfall.

I also learned that there are different edges on metal clutch plates! lol. Had no idea. These are my first aftermarket clipons and will give it one more try.

I like the duct tape in cold water also just to gum it up a little so it doesnt move.

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ya that was def the wrong way to install them.

I keep a small allen key in my toolbox just for those hard to reach clip-on bolts. I slip a 10mm wrench over the end of it to get more torque.

6. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

There is surface clamping loctite... I think the one I've seen was green... but I don't know that blue would really do much using it that way.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you actually want to use a retaining compound on clip ons, use Loctite 641 please. Its designed to do this, hold bearings, shafts, etc together AND be removable at some future time.
    Its Yellow. If you use one of the high strength (Green) compounds, good luck removing them. Heat will most likely be required.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I'd absolutely 100 percent be buying new clip-ons before I was using a retaining compound lol

Steeltoe likes this.