1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Needed: Best Way to Watch Major League Baseball

Discussion in 'General' started by Linker48X, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I need some advice. The local cable tv outfit dropped Root Sports (old Fox Sports NW), the cable station that carries the Mariners games. This causes a big problem in my house because we watch most Mariners games. There is no way to get Mariners games ala carte on this cable system. The Mariners are blacked out on the cable MLB TV channel, so we won't see them at all. And they aren't carried locally.

So the alternatives are, go to a satellite tv, or pay to watch on the internet, and maybe connect the computer to our big flat screen. What do you think? better to go to a satellite system (and if so, which one?) or to watch on the internet (and if so, which one?). How good is the picture if we connect the computer to a flat screen?

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Best Way to Watch Major League Baseball is to change the channel when it comes on. Find something more exciting.... like the paint drying channel.

3. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

:stupid:

That or get the MLB package on your provider...

4. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

I don't watch it. I have other people do it for me.
    I don't know how people do it. Seriously.
    The Yule Log channel on X has comes to mind.

5. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

:stupid:

But I'm not opposed to getting shit faced drunk at a baseball game... Maybe that's why I get shit faced drunk at a baseball game, is because I'm at a baseball game...

6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I lived next door to Mike Blowers when our dads were stationed at Ft. Lewis. I have nothing else to add to this thread. Rally fries! :)

7. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

I live next to Mike Oxlarge. Big deal ;)

Seriously though, the ONLY way to watch MLB is live at the field. Otherwise it's boring.

8. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I really stopped watching baseball in 1977 after game 6 of the World Series (yes I was there). It really can't get better than that....plus I was 11 and got to run onto the field with the rest of NYC. :D

9. scotth

scotth Banned

1) Don't watch the Mariners. That'll make you want to die.

2) Your cable company will sell you a MLB package. This is easy and you don't have to do much beyond cut a check. Despite the advertising, many games will be blacked out, most of them precisely when you want to see them, in my experience. I forget the formula, but it's something like Saturday night, Sunday afternoon, and anything on E.S.P.N. (which gets Sunday night, too, but at least you can watch it on E.S.P.N.) Then there will be games blacked out for no reason you can fathom, but I think that was just about five or ten of those.

3) Get mlb.tv and stream it online. You can watch on a computer monitor or display on a t.v. via computer, Playstation, X-Bok, Roku, or whatever other internet-streaming box you have. The picture quality wasn't as good as with the cable company setup, setting up the service itself is kind of a pain, and they blackout games too. Slightly fewer than the other option it seems, but they do.

4) Do (3) above but get some sort of i.s.p. 'forwarding' setup that makes mlb.tv think you're in Europe. That removes all blackouts, and you can see all the games. Connect the streaming box to the t.v. with hi-def cables and stay at about 50-inches screen size and it'll look okay. Also buy the highest-bandwidth service your i.s.p. offers and make sure it's available.

I'm told that (4) is either illegal or at least frowned upon. I've done everything but the "get the European ISP" thing, and as soon as I feel like Google-ing how to do that, I'll do that too. I'll bet Venom51 or someone else on here could fill you in on how to do it.

10. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

The paint drying channel is right up there with the grass growing channel. Both are still better than soccer.

Baseball is still called America's pastime, even though the NFL rules everything.

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I kid.... sorta.

If you can score these kinda tix gratis, then by all means go, but other than that, nope.

[​IMG]
    By auminer at 2011-07-27

12. fallrisk

fallrisk Well-Known Member

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/
    I would never subject myself to watching baseball so i dont know if you'll find it on there. I watched all the motogp races on my phone while at work sunday. If you switch between the links you can choose between speed, eurosport etc coverage

13. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Beat way to watch is at the ballpark.

Hard to beat that.

14. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Again... Shit faced drunk...

15. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Well, Duh.

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Grab a bag of peanuts and 6 or 7 draft beers.

America, Fuck yeah!

17. scotth

scotth Banned

Ah yes. I sat just to the left of there on a lovely Saturday evening last fall to watch the St. Louis-by-God-Cardinals beat some other team something unmerciful like. It was quite the spectacle. :D

18. With a $26 hotdog

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I can only watch baseball live. With beer.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

In a coma.