1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice for new racer?

Discussion in 'General' started by timmy, Nov 29, 2001.

1. timmy

timmy 00 GSXR-750

first, hows everbody doing?
    well, i need advice on how and where to start racing. I live in nj so theres nothing to close. What organizations, tracks, clubs can i find info on racing? I'ce checked wera of course and ccs, fasttrax, etc, but what about other tracks like lime rock? can't find to much info on that, or what about loudon's series?, and forgive me if i'm not informed, what happend to bridgehampton? they still have a website, is it a golf course?
    I'm looking at racing 600 supersport and could realy use some insight. thanks guys.
    also anybody with a race bike for sale shoot me an email
    thanks
    Tim

[This message has been edited by timmy (edited 11-29-2001).]

2. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Well, first thing is...if you're in a paddock area and a guy named Tardholio walks up to you and wants you to pull his finger...DON'T! [​IMG]

3. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

WHHHOOOOO HHOOOOOO!!! Fresh meat!!!
    [​IMG]

Some of the yankees can answer your track/club availibility questions.

As to how to get started, just start going to the tracks and hook up with some experianced racers, bug-'em, hang-out, maybe even pit crew for them. And most importantly:
    CORNERWORK! This will both let you know if this is something you really want to get into, and you'll get to see how (well) the various clubs operate, and can pick the one you are most convient/comfortable with.

As for the class to start on. Unless you are well heeled and/or a hot-sh#t, I'd recomend starting in a different class, especally if you aren't stuck with a streetbike you already own and want to convert. Lighter bikes are cheaper to buy, operate, and repair. An SV is the current weapon of choice, but a Hawk, EX, or (my personal favorite) a GS500 will give you more track time for the buck.

Do a search on "new racers", "newbie", etc. and you will dig up alot of info you are asking for.

4. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

Theres a GS500 and an EX500, both for less then $1k in the classies right now.

Throw a rock and you'll hit a used SV for sale, too. [​IMG]

5. Powers

Powers BOHICA!

Timmy, you can get into racing a half a dozen ways. All work. Some guys just jump right in. Others do track days for half a season or more and then jump in. Look into NESBA (North East Sportbike Assoc - www.nesba.com) if you want to try that method. Worked for me. I did maybe 8 track days last season and took 12th in my first CCS race at VIR this year. Not bad for a fat guy. Made a believer out of me on the track day method. Other than that, you can take any of several classes to get your race license and just jump right in.

MARRC has a course base at Summit Point WV which is about four to five hours from you. Its a one day course. About $150 +/-. You can race the next day. Ed Bargy is another school but he is mostly down in the southern region. Took his course at Roebling. Very Fun. Raced the same day and the next day.

If you go with the track day method to build up time and experience you won't have any problem in the 600cc class once you race. By the time you race for real, you will have more experience than most of the newer dive-right-in novies out there and the experienced novices just get around you with out hassle. So consider doing maybe two or three track days at least to get comfortable with the whole track experience before jumping in for real. Learning the skills while IN a race can be, I'd bet, a little overwhelming. I am sure some folks will disagree with me on this, but I would highly suggest that doing a few track days and a race school will go a lot further, in building skills, than doing one day at race school an diving in. Its ALL good, but it all depends on how well you want to do in that first real race.

The BIG thing about getting into racing is the gear. Spend the winter getting leathers, boots, gloves, a REAL helmet, a BACK PROTECTOR and stuff like that. It adds up fast but its all necessary stuff before ever getting out on pavement. You can race ANY bike under 750cc, no matter how old and used up, but your personal gear needs to be worthy of a good crash. Do not scrimp on it.

Good luck man! Welcome to our addiction!

[This message has been edited by Powers (edited 11-29-2001).]

6. Powers

Powers BOHICA!

Oh yeah, DON'T waste a ton of money trying to make Horse Power on your "new/used" bike. Use the cash for USEFUL stuff like suspension modifications. You can always get pipes and jets and all that crap later once you know how to ride. Spend the $$ on brakes and suspension. Or on a good helmet and boots. Trying to scare a few extra ponies out of the motor won't do squat for you at this stage. you can even race a bone stock bike and have a blast! You'd be better off spending the $$ on more track time. Experience makes you go fast. Not power. Hell, I can still remember getting passed by a ragged out 9 year old F2 that was down all of 10 or so HP on me! Why? The rider was more skilled. Power meant nothing!

7. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

I've passed R1's in street squid class...I was down oh 60-70 hp on them maybe? Add that to the fact that I suck real bad, and you'll find that rider skill is much more important than horsepower. [​IMG]

8. timmy

timmy 00 GSXR-750

hey guys thanks for the advice, I've done 2 track days at pocono and loudon before on my 750, what i'm really trying to find out is your opinions of tracks and organization, whether to just run loudon all season, follow wera , fasttrax or ccs? whats the deal with pocono? I can't find any series info. Also, what about the AMA? I can't find the regional info on the web, do i have to call someone? AS far as the little things I have full gear, trailer, tools, etc. from street riding.
    thanks again
    Tim

9. GREG#22

GREG#22 Well-Known Member

Only advice i have to give is have plenty of money and plenty of vacation days at work. It is so addictive you will need it.

10. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

And to have that, move to Alabama and get a job with Greg [​IMG]

11. GREG#22

yea being a pulp wood hauler is the life! I am hiring if your interested ex ccs i need a good nosepicker! i mean cherry!!!!!!!

12. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I can pick with the best of 'em too [​IMG]

13. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

In case you do, make sure you aren't around any open flames

14. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

I guess it's better you hear those words here than on your first night in the county jail

15. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

That was you? [​IMG]

16. GREG#22

(ADVICE) when coming and racing in the southeast region watch out for ex ccs. Also i have a friend who has a 2000 f4 ready to race for $4000 with brand new airtech plastic and fresh paint.

17. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Yeah. So when you lap me just look for the turn signal. That's the side to pass me on [​IMG]

18. GREG#22

please take those off (turn signals) this season you left one on the entire practice at kershaw

19. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

What you didn't like my neon Lockhart flush mounts? Matched my day glo windscreen and tank bra. not to mention my extended swingarm and chrome wheels.

20. GREG#22

yea it kicked a$$ [​IMG] at least the chicks dig it.