1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice about a first race bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Jester13, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Jester13

Jester13 Zombo in '08!

I'm looking for a two stroke 250. Can ya'll point me in the right direction for a good bike to start on? I want to get my license, hopefully sometime during this season, and get a 250 to start running. When I can ride the wheels off it and can make podium I figure I'll be allowed to move up. :D Might take a while... hell, may never happen at all, lol. Regardless. Where can I look, what should I be looking at, what's legal, what's not?

2. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

SV

first to post...w00t!!! :D

3. Indy92

Indy92 Beer Me

4. Jester13

Jester13 Zombo in '08!

250 2 stroke. Ride the hell out of it. Then a SV. :rolleyes:

5. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

k7 gsxr1000 is a good novice bike right guys?

6. Jester13

Jester13 Zombo in '08!

I've ridden 600s on the street for four years now. Haven't had a car for two years, just a bike. Don't want anything to do with liter bikes, not for a while yet. They worry me, to easy to wrap myself around a telephone pole or go flying into the armco. I've come to the conclusion I won't be able to ride a 600, especially anything newer than 03, to it's full potential till I really learn to ride. Best way to do that is start small and ride the hell out of it. Then move up.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Do a search, this has come up MANY times. My 2 cents- an SV or a 125 TZ or RS is a much better choice.

8. Jester13

Jester13 Zombo in '08!

135 TZ or RS. All right. Where can I find these and what kind of keywords for the search? First racebike or what? Only 2 strokes I see with any regularity are the ones that, I assume, aren't anywhere close to legal for contingency and not even fully restored cost ~30,000. I'd assume there was cheaper stuff out there...

9. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

There has been lotsa hashing of the 250 / SV debate. Here is the readers digest version:
    250 -- maintenance intensive, not very forgiving, not a lot at the track (spares for when you crash) or ability to compare notes with other riders.

SV / 600 -- gas and go, lots of torque (making it easier to ride) lots of them if you have a meltdown or need advise at the track .

When you are first getting your license / track days etc.. its better to have a bike that you don't need to think about (SV) as opposed to something that will need jets and cranks and cylinders (oh my!)

Not saying that a 250 GP bike wouldn't be a blast, just a lot of work for the first time. Have you considered an Aprillia 250? Those started as street bikes and are not as maintenance intesive as a full blown GP bike, but you still won't see a ton of them at the track.

Just my $.02 YMMV
    Don

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  10. Jester13

Jester13 Zombo in '08!

Ok. New question. Opinions between 125s and 250s and what about the GP replica bikes? 125s or 250s. Less maintenance intensive?

And what classes can these be run in?

11. Cuddles de Sade

are you a good mechanic?

few classes...

12. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

13. Jester13

Jester13 Zombo in '08!

I'm a mediocre mechanic but I learn quickly. I do have a team I can travel with and long as I pit bitch while they run Endurance I can talk him into helping/letting me watch him work on my bike. Which classes?

14. Jester13

Jester13 Zombo in '08!

15. Jester13

Jester13 Zombo in '08!

I was asking about classes because I don't know what/if there's contingency on these bikes.

16. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

SV- plan on oiling the chain, changing the tires, oil & brake pads several times per season.

Two-stoker: plan on all of the above, + account for rebuilding the bottom end, replacing pistons after inevitable seizure and/or detonation, chasing after endless jetting issues. replacing everything else on the bike as a result of wadding it after the motor seizes and spits you off. spend as much time wrenching as you spend riding- at least as demonstrated by a few friends that I have with 2-strokes... the upshot is that you can claim luddite superiority over people with larger, heavier bikes...

Get an SV and be happy!

17. Cuddles de Sade

or get a supermoto and REALLY be happy:D

18. paulco135

paulco135 Well-Known Member

:beer: :up:

19. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I just happen to be selling an SV in Atlanta that was my first race bike. Come take a look and I will answer any questions you might have about racing it (basically, keep the battery charged, put gas in it, put tires on it, change the oil every couple race weekends, and don't forget the key).

20. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

The SV is the way to go... plus if you are helping someone out you will be happy it runs and does not need allot of help.

I just did a complete service to the SV after a season of racing. When I started racing this bike, I put bodywork on it, a few parts and added some gas. That is it, I did not even change the air filter and the bike had 19,000 miles on it when I started racing it.

After one season the bike never failed to start, stop when I wanted it to and crashed once and raced the same day. I then did the following service work to the SV to get it ready for my next season (which starts this sunday in phoenix)

SV Work:
    - Replace OEM sparkplugs after 21,000miles (The plugs had a 0.083" gap)
    - Sync FI Throttle Bodys
    - Replace OEM chain (Again 21,000 miles on it)
    - Install '05 Shift Kit
    - Install MotionPro Clutch Cable
    - Install new Brake Pads
    - New coolant, oil, clean bodywork from last rain race.

The SV is the way to go, and so many people can help you out.