1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adventure Bike Riders

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, May 13, 2013.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, I did it this weekend. Traded my R1100RS for a Miata. No jokes, the car is actually a little screamer. So I'm pretty sure my next bike is going to be adventure style (I hate that term for some reason).

Lots to choose from. I liked my two previous Beemers so a GS is at the top of the list (1150GS...I don't care for the 1200). But there is also:

Yamaha Super Tenere
    KTM whateveritscalled
    Ducati Multi (but I already have one Duc)
    Triumph Tiger
    Suzuki 1000 V-Strom
    Whatever I'm forgetting

Who has what and why do you like it? I think I'm on a mission to own some type of every bike ever made before I die. A hack is in my future for sure!

2. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Ktm adventurer lol is what it's called.....I like the Yamaha super it looks like its a beast

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I don't have too much experience on them yet but my dad picked up an F800GS a few years ago and I freakin love it.

4. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I have a KTM 990 Adventure. I like it. The bike is really good in the dirt. I find it quite comfortable on pavement. The only things I don't like are the fuel range and maintenance. But the market on those bikes reflects those shortcomings IMO.

I don't think anybody has cornered the market on these bikes. They all have good and bad attributes. Find the one that fits you and your uses the best and I'm sure you'll be happy.

5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I am partial to the Yamaha Super Tenere. I ordered it under the original PDP with Yamaha. 17k miles later I'm still happy with it. Great out on the road, good off road and a good commuter.

[​IMG]

6. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

I have a Super Tenere and love it. Its great for all around riding. Its definitely not a sport bike, but it is faster than I care to ride on the road. It has enough torque that it will pull hard whenever I want to go. Don't really notice the weight when I'm loaded up with gear or two up. I don't think it will wow you with any one trait or thing that it stands out in. It just works for touring and daily riding. Haven't really had a chance to take it off road, but it seems to work as long as you aren't' MXing.

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

First, do you know what size you'd prefer having and more importantly what kinda use it's going to see?

From what I've read in the past half year, here n there, it's a no brainer if it's gonna see a lot of dirt time the KTM is the bike to get.

However, anything higher than 75% of time of asphalt time, I'm gonna have to be biased and say the Triumph Explorer all the way. One of the faults are it's one of the heavier adventure bikes, (iirc, but double check) but man the triple motor is one sweet motor and makes very good power, remember it's 1200cc's! Most of the shootouts I've read seem to always refer to the powerplant when they speak about the pluses of that particular ride.

Aside from the King of the class not being on your list (BMW R1200GS), the Yamaha ST seems to have a huge following, heard very good things about that one too but didn't dig the rear swinger set up, so I settled for the monstrous/heavy but true single sided Triumph instead. :D

If having big power isn't on your list of must have's, I'd also give their 800XC a good look, coming in at 100# lighter it'd probably serve you better for offroad use.

Offroading was never any real consideration for me other than the occasional fire road that I might run into out of state. Of all the bikes I've ever owned (all sportbikes) not one had this much high tech gadgets so I kinda find that mildly amusing when I look at this beast, ie. traction control, abs, built-in tpms (if you get the wheel sensors), etc...

8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

For general commuting, you don't need a liter twin. Get a DL650 Vstrom or some other smaller displacement bike. Plenty of power for street, weighs less and handles better off-road as well. Better gas mileage, too.

Farkle to taste. There's lots of farkles out there for these bikes.

9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I road tested the the Triumph Explorer and the Multistrada S for a canadian magazine last month in So Cal. I can tell you I would never venture off road with the Ducati except maybe on dirt roads where you could go in your Miata. But it's a hell of a road bike with awesome electronic suspension and crazy engine.

The Triumph had more off road capabilities with the larger front wheel, higher stance, driveshaft, more power in the low revs and better equipment (including heated seat) and was more comfortable. Maybe not as sporty on road as the Duc but better all rounder.

10. rd400racer

XF has a point...fire roads are probably the most I would ever hit unless of course I headed out to Utah etc.

I love the Tenere and sat on one at the Yamaha tent at Indy. I've been doing a lot of searching and reading the last 1/2 hour based on some of the replies here. For starters, I'm trying to keep the budget around 8 grand. Unfortunetly the Tenere is just too new....finding one with some gear on it is over 12K used. Kind of why I steered away from the 1200GS.

You can find damn nice 1150GS's with all the goodies and low miles in my budget. The KTN just looks too dirt oriented. I do kind of like the Triumph but the BM's just hold their value amazingly.

But I like to keep an open mind so I'm listening.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What are you going to do with it?

Our Multi is the best motorcycle I've ever owned. Amazing 2up machine, fast, handles great, a wonderful street bike that should be great on fire roads. However - it would suck ass for the long term off road stuff Joe does on his KTM.

I personally don't like the old Multi but a new one isn't going to be anywhere near your budget. I like the 1100 Hyper over the older Multi but again, all depends on what you'll do with it.

12. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Don't overthink this. You've enjoyed your BMW's and there are some really nice deals on 1150's out there. Go get one! See where it takes you. If somehow you find it lacking then you get to buy something else. So there is no real downside.

13. rd400racer

Once again, good points. In the last two years I've had two different Beemers that would go to California in a heartbeat. Guess what the furthest I went was.....from Louisville to the Indy GP. I know, I'm hardcore.

But, I really want to head to Arizona via Colorado on a bike one day soon and then hit backroads once I'm there.

That's my plan anyway.

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What's wrong with the 1200 from your POV?

From mine it is a massive leap forward in every way.

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

For mostly road duty its hard to beat the Multistrada 1200. But I'm bias. :cool:

16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

You should check out the KTM 990 SMT then.

17. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

18. rd400racer

Nothing at all, a great bike. I sat on one at the dealership the other day. I'm just trying to keep the budget around 8 grand and it's pretty hard to find a 1200 in that range.

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

RD, if you're craving something different than what you've been riding (BMW) then maybe give a used Tiger 800 a good look. Brand new, they're about $12K w/ ABS option, so finding one near your price point might be doable.
    The 800 doesn't have every single doodad it's big brother has but still heard great things about the triple 800 motor and you might find one with the optional abs.

20. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Airhead Paris-Dakar model GS. :)