1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adjusting for different tire size/brand

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by burnham, Aug 29, 2012.

1. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

My bike was set-up for Pirelli slicks a few years back, which I have been running up until this week. I have some Dunlop Ntecs I'm going to try, but the rear is a 190/60 opposed to my current Pirelli 190/55. I'm pretty sure it's not going to have a huge impact in the bikes handling, but how would I go about correcting the geometry if the bike feels strange on the new rubber? I have not been able to find dimensions on either tire. I have no idea how actual tire sizes run between different brands, of if it's something I should be worried about.
    My budget for track days and racing has gotten a little tight, and I've found a guy who will sell me Dunlop take offs pretty cheap.
    Thanks guys.

2. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I have ran many different size tires and brands, I would not stress out about it. My bike never really had a problem with any of them.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I went from a 190/55 rear dunlop to a 195/65 NTEC slick and didn't change anything. If felt a little weird for the first lap or two, but I got used to it and ended up dropping a full second :D

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

5. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Yep...turns quicker and will be a little uneasy at slow speeds. Just go faster.

Seriously.

6. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

I do not know the dimensions for the pirelli but when I went from 190/55 to the 190/60 dunlop it raised my rear ride height by 4.5 mil. Not much but it put a little more weight on the front so fast chicanes became more work. The bike turned in fine but to get it to flip sides fast became a wrestle. I was at a race weekend and didn't have a lot of time so I just raised the front 4mil. I later lowered the rear 2mil also and the bike is back to where I like it.

7. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Riding at the track now, bike feels fine. The dunlop guy had a
    chart with all the tire dimensions, so that makes things pretty easy.