1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABS vs. NON ABS

Discussion in 'General' started by theadamwesson, Feb 24, 2016.

1. theadamwesson

theadamwesson Active Member

I'm looking into getting a new 636. I've been riding for quite a while, but my question is, what is the best way to go? I plan on doing trackdays, so will ABS help or hinder? Just a question...

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Hinder. Learn to ride without electronics and then move towards them later as you learn.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If it can be turned off, get the ABS. If you do a track day in the rain or even damp, you will be glad it is there. I generally wouldn't use it in the dry. If you are just going to run slicks / race tires and only run when it is completely dry then just get the bike without ABS and save the weight / cost / complexity.

4. There are different versions of ABS. Supposedly the "Cornering ABS" on the 1299 and R1 is supposed to be really good, but I left mine turned off.

I just don't know how it will act and I didn't like the idea of brake pressure decreasing or pulsing on corner entry.

Personally I wouldn't specifically buy a bike with ABS on purpose, but if it comes with it, fine.

5. theadamwesson

theadamwesson Active Member

Well I've noticed that the 2015/2016 ZX-6Rs have a $1k price difference between the ABS vs NON, with the non abs being the cheaper of the two. I just need to research it a bit more to see if it can be turned off. I agree with you chaotic, it has always scared the hell out of me to think of that chop when turning in. Time to hit the books I guess.

6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

No, hit the track. in a non-ABS bike. Your worried about it, it won't help you go faster most likely, and it cost extra. No wins.

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Abs.

Few hunnit bucks more but might save your ass in an emergency (as in grabbing it or breaking in varying friction)

You won't feel it on a TD nor will it get you in trouble

9. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Pantha - stole that photo and posted it elsewhere - appropriate fees will be forwarded at a later date....

panthercity likes this.