1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abnormal tire wear pattern?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Thistle, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Grab a handful of throttle and just spin that thing smooth. I’ll send you over a spread sheet to start collecting data.

Thistle likes this.
  2. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

That last tire is not a dunlop.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Read it again.

4. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

Nope. It’s a Bridgestone.

5. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I didnt read it just looked at the pic :) I still dont believe it ham fisted throttle.... it's cold or hot tearing with suspension that isnt perfect. Talk to the local tire guy make sure it's the right compound for the track and temps also pressure isnt a set it and forget it either. Chuckwalla I was running 21 hot in the rear it was 70 degrees out had cold tearing at 24 hot. Big willow was 90 degrees had hot temp at 27. At 24 it was hot tearing. Both softs both on an SV650 with a k tech rear shock. Dialed in. I believe its compound and pressure that is making it do that. For both tires.

Thistle likes this.
  6. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

SV tearing is different from 600. Dialed in is subjective.

A rider with a poorly set up bike or on a totally stock bike but great technique can get great wear out of a tire. It’s the rider who keeps opening the throttle mid corner despite lots of spinning who is going to tear. Stand the bike up on exit, tearing goes away.

He said he was a novice rider. And for the record it’s hot tear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  7. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I said hot tear..........

8. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I just dont agree with this. I have a 2017 ZX10R and I abuse the throttle mid corner and exit. Tire wears perfect. I just dont see how opening the throttle at a given point would make the tire tear.....makes no sense. Tire pressure....or wrong compound.

9. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

Good spirited dialogue but we’ll get this figured out. I’ll be heading down to UMC armed with a lot more knowledge (on account of this conversation) than I did last time. We have some pretty knowledgeable folks down there that can help me reach a baseline suspension set up with the bike (that was a shout-out to MotoStation SLC and Fastline Racetire) ;). I'll also be logging the data for my tire pressures, temperatures, lap times and track conditions etc. If we find anything noteworthy I'll be sure to share it. Thanks again guys. Seriously.

track wagon likes this.
  10. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

Does your ZX10 have traction control, sliding control and three other systems that fall under the “Kawasaki Cornering Management Function”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

spinning mid corner doesn't rly cause tearing. "hamfisted" generally means hes waiting til the very end of the corner and whacking the throttle open. the tire cools down on the straight and mid corner, then its stressed a lot from fast and aggressive throttle input and tears. a rider that applies throttle from the apex is less likely to tear anything, spinning or not, because the throttle application takes longer.

a faster rider loads the tire more mid corner, which keeps it warmer. then their roll on is mostly dictated by their speed and the corner - and it cant be really aggressive / quick / abrupt because otherwise they wouldn't be a fast rider. so I don't think we can safely assume that u "abuse" the throttle in the same way as the OP. WSBK riders can use SC0 rear tires in cold conditions and not tear, while a track guy will destroy it quickly. thats less because their suspension is perfect and more because they generate all the loads in the right places to allow the tire to work well.

emry, Thistle, MurfSVR and 1 other person like this.
  12. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

But he had hot tearing on the dunlop.....so what does corner speed loading and all of that have to do with anything.....add pressure and it goes away.

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I don't think that cold and hot tearing are actually a thing, that they fully describe whats going on. they are just terms that someone made up because it kinda worked in a few situations. the data just doesn't make sense. MA SBK riders get their tires up to 260F carcass temp and the rubber wears perfect. I don't think we can assume the OP got his tires to that temperature. so how can this situation really be a "hot" tear? on the flip side, ive fixed plenty of "cold" tears by going up in pressure. ive been told by Dunlop that more pressure makes the tire more resistant to tearing - yet that also makes it run cooler. so why didnt it get worse? something else (or more) is going on that we aren't adequately describing with those terms, which is why fixes don't always work.

I don't have a concrete answer to your specific question here. but... I do think that a faster rider could use that exact tire at the same pressure and not tear it. more load, more heat, and no hot tearing. so corner speed and loading do have something to do with it. for the OP and the pics he posted, ya id agree that adding 1-2psi will help. but is that the BEST solution? he might sacrifice some grip over the guy that fixes his riding instead of adjusting the tires.

track wagon, emry, Thistle and 2 others like this.
  14. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Ok that makes sense.

15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

:flag: