1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A marathon in under 2 hours!

Discussion in 'General' started by Potts N Pans, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

1h 59m 40s :eek:

To break the mark, he had to run 100m in 17.08 seconds 422 times in a row at a speed of 21.1kph (13.1 mph).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/50025543

I watched Breaking 2 when they ran at Monza and clocked a 2h 00m 25s

2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

:eek: Indeed. Plus :bow: Incredible.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yes.

But also they designed that course for him and he had like 40 pacers to help him run it. So its not like he just went out and 'did' it.

But still an extreme level of fitness and mental strength for sure.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Holy cow!!!! I’m not sure I can even run his average speed, let alone do it for 26.2 miles!

I did one of those mud/obstacle courses a couple months ago. It was a 5k with an addition mike long obstacle course in the middle consisting of 16 fairly easy obstacles. I think the top guys did it in 22 minutes.

5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

That just makes it more wonderful. It was a team effort! :)

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Not trying to discredit it at all but..

"
    Kipchoge's coaches delivered him water and energy gels by bike over 4.4 laps of a 5.97-mile course in the city's Prater park, instead of having to pick refreshments up from a table as in normal competition marathons.

These aids are not allowed under the rules of the IAAF, athletics' world governing body, which is why it will not recognise this feat as the official marathon world record.
    "

Such a minor thing too..

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Not really sure what your point is. Or ChemGuy's. A fantastic accomplishment. Not trying to discredit it. Then don't. Do you think anyone else can't read or has not run a marathon and realize what that takes? At that speed? It takes a lifetime of effort from him, and from his family, and his team etc. Can we please focus on that.

JBraun likes this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Why are some of you guys trying to diminish what he did? It's not an official record. It's not like he stole first place in the record book from someone else who did it right. Not to mention that the someone else would be himself. They tried to see if it could be done under the best circumstances. Now we know it can. It's a pretty cool thing. Just appreciate it for what it is. I'm not even into long-distance running but I thought it was pretty cool.

9. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Wow! :clap: I can't begin to comprehend running that fast for that long.

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

It's for people that care not to read the whole article, not that I agreed with it. For "such a minor thing" I think it's pretty shitty. Pull your string out, goddamn.

11. flewid

flewid Well-Known Member

He's proven it can be done and it's only a matter of time before a sub 2h marathon is done in competition and maybe just maybe be the new standard to be considered an elite world class runner.

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

He didn’t run run a marathon; he ran a distance. There’s a difference. Huge effort and accomplishment, though. Props!

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lovely.

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Damn... Proof that the beeb can make an argument about any topic.

3ft screwdrivers over a guy running 26 miles.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: sorry... 26.2 miles. Don't forget about the point 2.

Cuz it wouldn't be a marathon without the point 2.

And shit.

Bruce likes this.
  15. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

The armchair quarterbacking is strong with this group

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

With 20 seconds to spare, it is just a matter of time until it happens in an actual race. After the seemingly impossible sub 4:00 minute mile was finally achieved, the feat began to be accomplished with some regularity. I expect the same progression with the sub two hour marathon.

ducnut likes this.
  17. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I think I'm gonna try that next time. Running for 2 hours sounds way easier than running for 4 hours.

MachineR1, badmoon692008 and sdiver like this.
  18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Check out the new guy.

sill'r B sill'd and Ducti89 like this.
  19. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Sounds great...until I tried it. :beer:

zrx12man likes this.
  20. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

"such a minor thing" included rotating pace runners and a pace car, not just the coach delivering his drinks.

pscook likes this.