1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 aprilia rs 250

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by roadrash251, Mar 13, 2004.

1. YSRkid70NC

YSRkid70NC Banned

is there a service manual you can buy for the aprilia on how to split the cases?

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Yes, but the manual is in 3 languages and I find it confusing. The engine is simple enough to rely a great deal on intuition and then consult the manual when that fails you. I typically only need my manual for torque values.

If your hot for an Aprilia then give Steve (owner of Speedwerk's) or Roach ("works" at Speedwerk's) a call and let him answer your questions. You'll learn more in 5 minutes from them on the phone than you will asking quesitons here.

3. ecumike

ecumike Relocated Yankee

NO the Aprilia is NOT faster.
    AT VIR
    Aprilia stock = 130 top speed
    125 stock = 140 top speed

Joe, you should know.. remember me going by you on the full course :D

4. ecumike

ecumike Relocated Yankee

Ditto.. Roach & Steve know alot about the 250's and how they are and compare to the 125s.

You probably CAN make the 250 faster, but some definite tuning and engine work would be in order for that to happen.

5. Joe Morris

Yeah, yeah, thanks for the reminder. :mad:

I didn't think the top speed differential was that great but then again its hard to judge when your getting dropped. :(

6. YSRkid70NC

YSRkid70NC Banned

does the aprilia run with the SVs well and what is the top speed of an SV?

7. Joe Morris

Yeah, it does OK against the SV's but a well ridden SV will win. The SV carries about 10 mph more speed but the RS250 carries more corner speed. I think the RS250 is much more fun to ride (having raced a SV for a couple years). The class structure doesn't mix the SV and RS250 anymore though so its not as much of a concern. We do still run our races at the same time and its fun to run with them but its nice not getting scored against them. :D

8. YSRkid70NC

YSRkid70NC Banned

can you run slicks in lightweight superstock?

9. ecumike

ecumike Relocated Yankee

YSR.. unless you have a tuned RS250, like 68+ HP... forget ever winning a race against the SVs. Even in the Superstock/Supersport race.

You should talk to Roach. PM him. He's raced on both a stock and super-tuned RS250, as well as a TZ250 and the 125. He'd be able to compare them all to you.

Just my .02, but for the money for the 250 and tuning, etc.. you could get a competitive 125 with spares.

Sure maintanence is alot on the 125, but it's sooooo easy compared to trying to work on the 250. If you blow a piston on the 250... if it's the top cylinder, you're looking at a good 2 hours labor to get everything taken apart, fixed and put together. Unless you're really good with your wrenching skillz.

For the 125, as you may know.. .you can do it in 20-30 mins. I had to do it at Jennings this year. :)

As for top speed of an SV.. that widely varies depending on the tuning. At VIR with CCS in April... Darren D. won LWGP on his SV.. and he was running 1:39's. No way you can do that unless you've got a tuned 250, and it might even be tough with that.

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  10. ecumike

ecumike Relocated Yankee

YSR.. to give you an example of times and comparasons... Here's some of my #s from last year.

Amateur, 1st full season racing, on a stock 250, with just a JollyMoto pipe, stock engine, etc...

At VIR...
    In April: I was running 1:50's. That got me 2nd in MWSM, 9th GTL, 8th LWSB, 7th LWSS.
    In June: I was runnung 1:47's. That got me 3rd MWSM, 7th GTL, 7th LWSB, 9th LWSS.

Now this year, on my completely stock 125 (unleaded gas and all) in the expert class...

At VIR...
    In April: I was running 1:41's. That got me 2nd LWGP, where I was running steady 40's for the last couple laps. In GTL, bike setup was screwy.. still placed 7th.

So compared to the 250.. I'm almost 10 seconds faster on the 125!

EDIT: I'm a little biased now that I've ridden the 250 and the 125.. I just LOVE the 125... if you can imagine..it's even MORE fun than the 250. Either way you go, it'll be fun.

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  11. YSRkid70NC

YSRkid70NC Banned

my 93 Rs125 is pretty fun and i think i might stick with it for a while and get a RS/TZ 250 or get a newer 125 i'm not sure. But i've decided not get an apr 250 i thought it'd be faster than a 125.:(

12. i know what you mean by the lack of competition for the 125 class in the southeast with wera, last year i won like 12 races due to no competition, but keep the 125 spirit, this year i am only running a few 125 wera events (mainly florida region, but this will include all roebling events)

bring that '93 125 to roebling and we will have a fun race, if more 125's show up in the southeast it could only get better

by the way, you should rejoice for the lack of competition, it is like free tire money, and yes the 125 kicks aprilia 250 butt all day, and you can keep most sv 650's at bay, and have a heck of a lot of fun doing it
    the following are tracks in the southeast where your 125 even a 93 should win against aprilia's and sv's
    roebling
    barber
    jennings
    vir

i have always had a harder times with the sv's at
    road atlanta
    kershaw
    and talladega

at these tracks i have however seen good 125 pilots like kracget, peters, pyles, disalve, and spies, devour all others

so the problem is only with the rider (myself)