1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

98hp - 303lb SV650

Discussion in 'General' started by WERA552, Oct 22, 2004.

1. WERA552

WERA552 Master Brake Oil Spiller!

Okay - How do you get an SV to 303lbs? Regardless of the year that's an amazingly low weight isn't it?

RRW Article

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Ed has been racing SVs forever. Everything is Ti.
    Every bolt is drilled.
    Prolly 3mm over.
    I had 87 with my superbike 02. Without flatslides, and only 2mm over, with Yosh drop ins.
    Mark Junge spanked him with a stock 03 last year at Road America.

3. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

I thought Ed had 16 Career National Championships circa 1983????

I spanked him in the rain once. Right after I fell down. I think he was scared to get near me after I passed him on my butt with my Sears rain suit shredding around me.

Unfotunately the rest of the races that year were in the dry........

Ed is an inspiration.:beer:

4. WERA552

My 2mm motor is 90+ hp right now with 39mm FCR's.

It's nowhere NEAR 303 pounds though.... :eek:

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I think it's all in the brakes. You may need to look at your brake set-up and see if it's all as light as possible. Maybe use less fluid.

6. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

aftermarket wheels can be worth 20lbs off

charging system is worth at least 10 lbs, starter another 5lb.

fuel cell can help lose A LOT of weight also

303 is still crazy light, though

My 600 is down to 355 wet and thats with the stock tank and no drilled bolts

7. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

If that's the same bike that he rode a couple of years ago at the CCS ROC at Daytona I know it dosen't have a charging system or a starter on it. He also wears an aerostitch suit instead of leathers which should be lighter. The rear rotor looked like swiss cheese and I'm sure there are lots of other light weight things on there.

-Steve

8. WERA552

Although it's just plain crazy (imo) - an aerostitch suit won't lower the bike weight. :D

I figured it'd be total loss, with LW aftermarket rims, basic essential wiring, no starter and holy rotors (Hallelujah!).

Does a CF tank and Ti bolts complete the job?

9. WERA552

Hmmm... If I go back to VIR can you help me work on that?

Maybe I don't need to lower the bike weight - I'll just spill brake fluid all over the rotors!!!! :D

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Don't forget an aluminum subframe, fiberglass cover for a gas tank, no seat but a foam pad, 520, lighter sprokets, . Every little bit counts, captive wheels spacers, and a couple of other things. I am still thinking of ways to lower the weight on that monster.

11. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

triple clamps will sure help too.

those SV clamps weigh a ton!

12. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Out of curiousity, how much horsepower does Mr. Temme's FZR have and what does that weigh?

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

My SVs 322 pounds with stock wheels. I think I could get down to under 310 with more money. Wheels can be big, plus a carbon tank, and even lighter weight bodywork. Throw in TI bolts everywhere and that can add up to a couple/few pounds.

I know of at least one special trick he used to drop weight. Something most people wouldn't think of. :)

I'm not sure what Temme's FZR weighs, but I'd say it puts out 90hp judging from the two of us going down the straight together.

14. Putter

Eddie, I saw you were logged in and figured you would know.:)

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

*cough cough*

If anyone wants a "Key/Temme" beater, I've got one for sale over in the classifieds.

:D

16. Putter

17. weggie man

weggie man Well-Known Member

Mark Junge beat Ed Key in Lightweight Supersport. There's no way a stock '03 SV would touch the bike this thread is about.

Dave Doe rode this same bike to a few CCS national championships before Ed bought it from him. Ed detuned it to make it more reliable. I know Dave had it up to 103 hp the last year he rode it.

18. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

Helium? :D

Ed is on the right track for the weight -- all the little stuff adds up, come up with 20 things to save 1/2 a pound and thats 10 pounds. Same deal with the HP figures, find a bunch of small gains and you get the idea.

As for Temmes ride, only he or his crew chief would know, and they aren't talking :beer: :clap:

You can speculate all you want though :D

Don

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Take hp with a grain of salt. You might have 87, you might have 82,, you might have 92. I have dyno sheets from 2 different dynos that vary by 9hp. Both are the same dynos, with almost the same variables in place. And both read higher than the Dyno at the GNF.

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Dammit. All this talk of HP and low weight makes me not want to sell my bike!! :D