1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

98 s10 radiator fix

Discussion in 'General' started by tunawest, Aug 15, 2011.

1. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

so my damn radiator has been leaking for a couple months. Started as a small almost pin hole type leak on a seam of one of the hoses coming out. Its not a metal radiator, and Im trying to get a quick, temporary fix while I search for a new one.

Chastain knows my love for JB weld.........

Do you think it will work?

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

3. tunawest

Tried pepper, and even the crap from auto zone. Worked for a bit, but now nothing works.

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

pm Lever, he is the JB weld master!

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I tried all manner of stuff on one and nothing worked. Not a fan of these "new and improved" radiators.

6. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

JB might hold it up for a couple of days but I would replace it asap

7. r6racer75

r6racer75 Well-Known Member

JB Weld! Someone "trying" to help put a triple tree stand in to the radiator of my R6 one race weekend. Luckily it had enough time to dry between races. I raced with it the rest of the year like that and it was on the bike when I sold it 4 yrs later. It was faultless.

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My Sonoma had to have a new radiator. Nothing seemed to fix it. Of course, it had also had that stupid lifetime antifreeze that destroys your system in it.

Call a salvage yard. Those things are a d ime a dozen and they used them in everything.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can use rv "roof tape" in a pinch. Brand name is called Eternabond but they sell it at ABC roof supply under a different name.
    I could mail you a couple strips for no charge.
    Its one of those "emergency supplies" no boater or rv'er should be without!
    Seals all kinds of wet leaks!

10. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

I had a truck that needed one once, nothing seemed to fix it. I picked up one from 1-800-radiator and never looked back. Sold the truck to a buddy, radiator is still on it running strong 4 years later. It was pretty cheap IIRC

11. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

I fixed a massive leak on my gsxr 1000's radiator about 4 years ago. Prepped the area really good and pulled a vacuum while i did it. It's still holding strong.

12. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

You're probably gonna have to just get a new one. Those plastic radiators are junk and most of the easy fixes for aluminum ones won't work. The other problem is that most of the radiators in the junkyard are probably cracked somewhere too so it's easiest to just bite the bullet and get a new one. I went through the same dilemma with a friend's Galant and in the time and ass-pain I spent trying to figure out how to save a couple bucks I could've had a brand new one in for like $100.

13. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

My 97 Tahoe was leaking from the same spot. I just bought a new radiator.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

i had to replace the one on my '94 s10 last year, got it from rockauto.com

15. tunawest

Thanks guys, looks like im gonna just buy a new one.

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

JBweld "stick", for reals...

17. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

I've had jb weld hold for months on an old beater bike...

18. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

+1 rockauto.com

JB weld will not stick to a plastic rad for more than a day or two

19. BBC

BBC Well-Known Member

20. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

I just bought a cheap rad on fleabay for the bonneville a couple of weeks ago.
    Plastic side tanks and aluminum core. $109 to my door.