1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

98 GSXR Oil Filter # turns

Discussion in 'General' started by n2indy, Jun 22, 2003.

1. n2indy

n2indy Well-Known Member

Anyone know off the top of their head how many turns once the gasket seats for a 98 GSXR 600?

Can't find my book at the moment.

-brent

2. dave333

dave333 traveler

Ummmm, til it doesn't leak anymore? Guuddentiite is the gauge I usually use...

3. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Personally I don't think the year of the bike matters. I agree with the comment "until it doesn't leak." ;)

But seriously, with as much as we change these damn things I just hand tighten it until I can't tighten it by hand any more. Never had a problem doing that. I change the oil/filter after every endurance weekend and every 2-3 weekends if I'm just running sprints and solos.

4. n2indy

n2indy Well-Known Member

found it ... 2 turns following gasket touch

5. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

2 FULL turns means when it's time to change your oil, the average crappy filter wrench won't get it off..

So to preemptively answer your next post, pound a slot screwdriver right through the filter and use that to turn it ;) :D

6. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

True dat YO! ;) Hand tight is more than enough.

7. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Not so sure about that looser than for a street bike. The new rider pack I got said to snug oil filter tighter than for street with an oil filter wrench. but then again that was 8 years ago and maybe the new filters are more resitant to leaking. :rolleyes:

8. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

The rule in the manuals is 1/4 turn past hand tight.

However I usually just get a two handed goodentight and haven't had any leakers yet.

9. R Rahn

R Rahn re-Member

Not too tight though.....

...wrenching on oil filters too tight runs the risk of reducing oil flow on some models. I burned a clutch up in my R6 by putting the filter on with too much muscle. Now I just put it on by hand and let the safety wire and hose clamp do the rest.