1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

98 Audi A6 Power Steering Line

Discussion in 'General' started by evakat, Jul 24, 2012.

1. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

As the title list...
    My brother is looking for a cheep replacement power steering line for a 98 Audi A6 with the 2.8 engine.
    His took a crap and he really does not have the $$$ to fork over for a $250-$300 OEM replacement.
    Anyone here know where to pick up a used/cheep new one at???

Thanks...

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

At that price, couldn't you have one fabbed at a hydraulic hose shop?

3. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Have ya

considered taking it to a hydraulic hose repair shop?
    Is it a section of rubber hose that is swedged onto an aluminum tube?
    Fairly easy and inexspensive repair...

I'm also assuming it's the pressure and not the return line, so find the system rated pressure to use hose that is up to the task.

Often times this is easy enough to see from looking at a cross sectional cut of the bad hose and examining the number and size of the fiber reinforcements that run along the OD of the hose, beneath the outer cover.

4. Coopster

And we both

Rock the #43! Twin sons of different mothers and all that...

5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

What he said. ^

edit: Damn, I was too slow on the draw.

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I've had to take an old hose to a hydraulic shop to have the rubber hose replaced (re-using the original metal ends) because the new hose assembly (made in China) wasn't "clocked" properly and it couldn't be twisted far enough to get the threaded pieces to engage properly.

It's not that big of a deal.

7. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

the hydro hose shops wont touch it because one end of the line has what looks like a brake line / banjo bolt tip...

8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Because they're afraid it will be used as a brake line and they will held liable?

9. Coopster

Fug 'em then

If those tards can't distinguish a brake line (-4 @best?) from a fluid carrying line, such as this p/s application, I'd say it's either time to talk w/ the boss, or at least someone who has a clue, OR go to another place of biz.

I believe NAPA stores will even do this type job.

As mentioned previously, mark the 12 O clock of each side of the rubber bit so it clocks back the way it should be.

Brake line! That's phuggin' rich! Like 747 brake line?!!!

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I could probably have it re-made (with the original ends) down here by Goodridge, or someplace like that, for way less than the OP quote.

In braided stainless, no less.

Post a picture of it, if possible.

11. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

The rubber section looks pretty decent. It is the metal (aluminum?) That is bad. One end has a brake line type fitting and the other has your typical p/s connection.

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

In that case, your brother just might be scrod.

Or is that "screwed"?

13. Coopster

What's

the actual problem with the metal line?
    Pics?

14. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

it is rusty and sprung a weep/leak...
    I just saw the line today... My brother has it... I will see if he can snap a few pics for everyones viewing pleasure...

15. canalroadracing

canalroadracing Well-Known Member

I have one I'm parting out, make me a good offer.:beer:

16. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Canal... I will let me brother know you have one... I will see if I can get a pic or two to compare and make sure we are talking about the same style...