1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 zx6r jetting question

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianJ, Jan 14, 2002.

1. BrianJ

BrianJ Active Member

Hey there racers! I've got a question that I hope one of you can help with. I've got a 97 zx6r, and bought an extra set of carbs complete with a factory jet kit installed. Problem is, I don't have any spare jets, or the instruction book. I could really use info on what main jets I should use(at least a starting point) to double check that I've got it close. I've got a full Indigo exhaust, k&n jet kit, ignition advancer.

Can anyone help?

2. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

If I remember right, The jet will have Mikuni, etc, on it along with size (i.e. 140). Each kit (i.e. Mikuni, Factory, Dynojet) uses a specific vendors jet(s) You should be to figure out what you have by pulling off the bowls, and inspecting the main jet.

3. fourandsix

fourandsix Well-Known Member

Just call factory or email them and they will send you a set up sheet.

4. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Is the rest of the motor stock? On my 95(same motor) I am running 175's on 1 and 4, and 190's on 2 and 3. But my motor has had some work done on it. Just like Ex-CCS said, take the bowls off of the carb's, and look at the main jet(round head-should be the biggest one in the middle). The next thing you may want to check are the needles.

5. mau397

mau397 Active Member

best thing to do is call the pipe or jet kit manufactur and see what they recomend. you could get with a local dealer and see if they have any suggestions. they should at least be able to get some numbers for you.
    save your self some trouble and not change the pilot jet. all the kits that i have done, some say to change it and some don't, but all the ones i have change, i had to put the stock pilot back in.--way to rich at low end. one other thing, you don't have to spend the money on a jet kit, you can by the main jets by themselves. the only thing you need from the kit is the needles, but there are ways around that two.

6. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Check my response in the classified section that you posted...

7. BrianJ

BrianJ Active Member

Thanks for all the help everyone! I have had some work done on the engine--1mm over, high comp pistons, the Indigo exhaust, k&n. No flow work however on the heads. I've currently got 180's on 1 and 4, and 195's in 2 and 3. I guess that's close to what you guys have--The jets have the Factory name stamped on,-can you still buy those somewhere else?