1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 gsxr 600 crapping out

Discussion in 'General' started by divein6, Jun 11, 2002.

1. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

I am having a little trouble with my bike. I can run like 4-5 laps then the thing basicly loses power, i am kinda running off of the battery. the thing dosent charge. i was thinking it was teh rectifier but when i but a meter on it and then when the bike is in nutrual i rev the motor but the volts do not go up, i disconnect the battery while it is running and it shuts off. I think that is about all. anyone have any sugestions thanks

2. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

Even If the battery is fully charged you may only get 5 or 6 laps before it dies and you lose power. That happened to me last year on my F2. One of the connectors came undone so the alternator stopped charging and the bike died after 6 laps.

3. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

i hope it iis something easy like that, can a stator go bad? or possible the charging system? It was running fine before i put the new tank on once i put the new tank on it just hasent run good, thereis also pressure building up in the tank,but none of the hoese are crimpd.

4. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

Even operating in "total loss" mode a good battery should be able to power a bikes ignition system for at least a sprint race.
    You do have a battery charger right?
    Rectifiers usually fade out or go poof, I've never seen one turn into a battery vampire... Either the battery is worn out or you have a short somewhere that is draining it.

So besides the bad battery, you need to see if its the rectifier (most likely) or the generator thats bad.

5. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

Are the hoses that allows overfill to drain plugged up?