1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

954RR who has one

Discussion in 'General' started by Kevin Crauswell, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Kevin Crauswell

Kevin Crauswell Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get into a new bike.
    Maybe the Honda 954rr.
    Do you have one and how do you like it ?:D

2. fat bloke

fat bloke Well-Known Member

fantastic bike, i use one all the time, on track and off, its great all the things that the 929 needed the 954 has, and its great right out of the box and does,nt intimidate like a gsxr thou, i reccomend it mate............

3. Kevin Crauswell

Thanks Bloke.
    I was thinking it would a little better
    in the intimidation area. Plus with all that
    HP, not only do you have to watch the throttle
    control but I would want to try and us the HP.
    Thus, I'm sure trouble would be headed my
    way ! :p
    The bike looks good. Makes horse power. Handles well.
    Maybe Santa will be good to me this year. . . .

4. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

It's a sweet handling machine. It turns surprising quick for a big bike, but different tires change the characteristics, as usual. Scrap the stock rear shock, get the forks done, and go have a lot of fun. Yes, it will teach throttle control either the easy way or the hard way. :)

5. dave333

dave333 traveler

Someone warned me away from the r6 saying it would bite. Told me to stick with my perfectly fine race SV and learn about corner speed. Went with the r6 and learned about throttle control the hard way...

6. Kevin Crauswell

My first year of racing. . . i found the importance
    of good throtle control.
    I guess my point being : on the GSXR 1000 ,
    it seems this type of control is constant
    and very important. I would rather have a ride
    that would get down with the best of them but
    would let you relax a bit when you wanted to.
    So, I guees the 954RR is what I will be looking at.
    ( Although : the new Kawasaki ZX1200RR will be out
    next spring...... so I wonder. .)

7. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

2002 R1 in the classified's cheap!:D

8. dave333

dave333 traveler

Same here! That is why the stock SV went bye-bye and the R6 came home with me...

9. dave333

dave333 traveler

btw, even though my highside knocked me off the track for 3 months, I really, really really want an '03 R6...

Call me crazy!

10. Devilredr6

Devilredr6 Well-Known Member

954 RR is a great bike! A budy of mine has one.

I own a 02 GSXR750 he owns a 02 954RR. If we both keep our bikes in their respective powerbands they are nearly equal. The 954 has more lower rpm pull (torque) than my 750, but as the r's climb on my 750 I catch the 954 and actually pass it.

We did a few simple roll on tests
    First test; both bikes in 6th gear side by side, full open throttle at 55mph. The 954 pulled a good 4-5 bike lengths on my 750 as it hit its powerband sooner being lower in the R's. As my 750 hit the higher r's I actually caught and passed the 954, with a higher top speed.

Second test; both bikes 5th gear side by side, FOT @ 55mph. My 750 pulled a bike length on the 954, only to soon be passed by about 2-3 bike lenghts, once again as I hit the higher r's my 750 pulled in on the 954 and caught it.

Third test; both bikes 4th gear".....". I pulled on the 954 and never seen it again. My friend told me I pulled a good 5 bike lengths on him, he pulled up to within 2 of me but would not gain anymore as we both topped out the gear with him just behind me.

So my finding is both bikes are awesome! Obviously the larger motor has more lower rpm pull, and the 750 loves to rev high. I think a +2 on the rear of the 750 would put it in the power band in the same gear as the 954, otherwise the 750 really needs to be a gear down to pull the same as the 954 right off the bat. Amazing a 750 that really does pull right with a liter bike. I have a few friends with 929's and I imagine my 750 may have pulled a little bit harder on them.

A CBRF4i was also in on these tests but neither of us ever seen the bike but in our mirrors. The 4th gear roll on he did okay, but hit his rev limiter very soon, as we were not shifting in these comparo's.

My conclusion, 954, Great bike! (hard ass seat).

11. Kevin Crauswell

Great imfo ! Thanks !:D
    I don't know why the Honda dude's are using those rock
    hard seats like the RC51. You think since you spent so much
    on the bike, they would give you a good seat.
    I thought about the GSXR750. A great bike I'm sure.
    If I were to run across a good deal on one. . .
    it would be in the garage ! Thanks for the imfo.