1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

91 ZX7R need pricing info

Discussion in 'General' started by Rico888, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Found one locally on Craigs List so I thought I would check it out...
    Been turned into a naked bike with reworked top triple for the bars....
    It does have the following which would confirm it's R lineage...

Fully adjustable front forks
    FCR flatslides
    Aluminum tank

Also has a Fox shock and full Muzzy system.

Odd thing is it looks like it has a PM front wheel but the back appears to be stock. (Checked the front wheel against pictures of the wheels they ran on 90-91 superbikes and it looks identical)

Guy is asking $2k for the bike and I know some of you on the board know a whole hellava lot about these vintage Kawis.

Flatslides need a little fine tuning but the thing runs pretty damn good.
    Bike is showing 24K on the mileage.....

What the heck are these vintage Kawis worth?

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Send a PM to Ed Who? on this forum, or search for EDR online and give them a call. Eric Dorn is all about these bikes and can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about them.

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I had one of those models and to this day one of my favorite bikes.

If it's got the aluminum tank and flatslides chances are that it's going to be the R model. If it it, I beleive it will have a K designation in the VIN number. (I may be wrong on the letter but it's different than the standard model.)

The R's had an an extremely tall first gear as well, would go up to 82 IIRC. Made starts terrible. Otherwise they handles really well. The engines in stocl form made ok power but the flatslides helped tremedously.

Still wish I had mine.

4. LilJayRR

LilJayRR Well-Known Member

The R would also have adjustable swingarm pivot as well. It will be square shaped, if its round then it isn't a R.

5. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

i think i have "ZX7 radar" or something.. :crackup:

Funny i saw this...i am actually selling next week my own 1991-1992 ZX-7R. And for $2k...

for comparision sake

Mine is NO TITLE (bill of sale..long story but we have worked on bike since 2002/known last two owners..but title out there somewhere..)

Super clean. I just did over $500 worth of service to it (Valve adj., plugs, new gaskets, seals, air filter, fuel filter, steering bearings, brake pads, brake fluid, completely gone thru FCR carbs, rejetted, etc)

Has:
    Full titanium/carbon Muzzy
    520 DID/AFAM gearing/chain
    EBC pedal style front rotors
    SS brake lines front and back
    Toby (NEW!) Side mount steering damper
    Muzzy rearsets
    Keyless ignition
    new battery
    dynatek ignition/ecu
    etc, etc

I have the oem upper and tailsection..no lower. For me, ill be asking $1995. Then someone just needs to slap some race glass on it and have a great clean race bike...or i might part out...some of the items are rare on the "R" (1991-1995 the race ones were "R" 1996 went to "RR")

The 1991 R has some nice rare touches
    -FCR Flatslides
    -Alloy tank (this is CRAZY LIGHT and hand welded..very cool)
    -Solo tail section
    -CR gear box
    -Triple clamps dlb bolt/bigger than std bike single bolt
    -More hp. (The std 1991-1992's were PIGS stock)
    -subframe is two piece for racing
    -shock has more adjustments
    -etc, etc..

Remember also the forks DO NOT have preload! seriously it looks like a std preload adjuster but it does not affect preload..its adjust ride height of bike..stupid..but how they did it.

I think $2k is worth it if it is clean, runs good and you want that bike. I know mine is SUPER clean and ready to go but has only Bill of Sale, stock shock and no lowers (or race bodywork) so im only going to try to get $1,9-2,000 for it. I could part out for close to that i know! The tank is VERY rare and mine is near mint, no dents/repaint/damage!

Feel free to email me pics if you want ill take a look and let ya know.

edrshop AT gmail.com

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  6. ed who?

NO! that is wrong.

The First "R" (Race model) was in 1991. It has NO adjustable swingarm pivot.

The Second "R" (Race model) 1993 and Third "RR" 1996 in fact had the adjustable swingarm pivot (or squared mount)

The 1991-1992 did not.

As for VIN checking

EVERY ZX-7 has the vin JKZXD......

for the R (RACE) versions the 6th letter will be

1991-1992 K
    1992-1995 M
    1996+ N

The std bikes
    1991 J
    1993 L
    1996 P

:beer:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  7. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Is it the 92 or 93 ZX7's that have the worst forks ever made?

USD forks but w/o preload adjustment. They have ride height adjustment though. hahahahah

8. Rico888

frame does have the "K" designation so it looks like it is the R.

Now, do I want to get into a vintage project or not is the question...:D

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Without pictures this thread is useless :Poke:

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It should look like this.
    [​IMG]

11. Rico888

Sweet :up:

If it looked even remotely like yours, it would be in the garage already...:D

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I might know where a complete set of unused bodywork and an unused (in the box) aluminum tank can be found.

But it's NOT for sale. :moon:

:D

13. ed who?

THERES the rub with these old ZX7's! im same way..i know where THREE complete Suter Magnesium Dry clutch systems are too....but NOT for sale... us ZX guys are selfish sob's :D

14. ed who?

1991-2006 same basic fork design..r/h not preload stock...oh and weigh a set of them if you get a chance...it'll make you laugh..i think its built in anti wheelie even 20 years ago! just make the forks 100lbs!

15. BC

BC Well-Known Member

When I get some spare dough, I need to ship a 7r motor to you to go through.:up:

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

It was damn near impossible to wheelie my ZX7. I was so skinny even sitting all the way back didn't help.

17. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Oh, I think the pistons in them were steel discs w. different size holes for damping. High tech stuff. They should have just left the 89-91? forks on there. They actually worked well.

BTW - I have a set laying around here somewhere. Anyone want to buy them? :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010