1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9/11

Discussion in 'General' started by Silo Pete, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

We were watching the 10th anniversary coverage on TV, and my 3 year old daughter walked into the room as the broadcast showed the footage of the towers burning. She said they were on fire, and we said yes, they where. She wanted to play with us and make noise but we asked here to play quietly. She saw that there were sad people on TV, and she asked why. We told her it was because of the fires in the buildings, that the police and firemen went to go help and that people were on TV were sad. Like most kids her age she eventually lost interest and left the room to go play with her toys. She came back later with a tower of building blocks and said "Here mommy, I made you some new towers".

As a nation we'll never forget that day. And I can't express the collective thoughts of everyone. But for me, I hope that those that lived through 9/11, who were directly affected by the events, I hope they are making "new towers" and as hopeful as my daughter.

I'm just sad. :(

2. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I remember every minute of that day. What the weather was like, what I wore to work, who I was working with...

As I left for work this morning, I hugged my wife a little longer, I held my kids a little tighter.

I, too, am sad.
    :(

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I was a horrific event I pray we don't ever repeat. I watched MSN's two-hour special last night where they replayed their broadcasts from that morning as it happened, and I'd be lying if I said a whole lot of bad memories didn't come right back.

Prayers for those who were and continue to be affected by that day.

4. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

Nice post Pete. This fateful day will forever be ingrained on our memories. These actions of your daughter speak to me as a metaphor for the people of this great nation - we shall rebuild and our spirit shall never be stopped by murderous foes from home or abroad.

Never forget and God bless those who defend our nation and its values.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Prayers to all those affected. And prayers of strength and comfort for the friends and families of the first responders.

This commercial was shown ONE time and ONE time only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3eQmzw6n3k&feature=share

And, yes, I could be banned. But I believe it's worth it.

6. CMMFL

CMMFL Well-Known Member

Thanks for that one, Pete....as if I haven't cried enough today. Just more proof that our children can "read" us and will do little things they think will make us happy and smile again.

Thank your daughter for me....she made me smile today.

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Thankfully, I didn't lose anyone in my family or friends but know several who have, not difficult living as close to the WTC as I do.

On that morning, I was at home doing some masonry work on my front steps when my neighbor across the street yells out to me that a plane just hit the towers. I was thinking a Cessna or maybe a Learjet at most, we spoke for a few more moments and then walked into the house to turn the TV on, I had just missed the second plane hitting the second tower. The feeling that overwhelmed me as I just dropped onto my couch is indescribable.

This day, as every 9/11 since, weighs heavily on my heart, Godspeed and strength to all who were directly [and indirectly] affected.

8. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

I pray for all those involved and affected, our blessings.

9. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

CDR Willian Donovan, United States Navy. RIP shipmate.

10. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

Seriously, ADMIN's, please DON'T! I can't say I recall ever seeing such an impactful commercial before this!

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I posted a documentary in the YouTube thread that might have gone unnoticed by many when it came out but is worth spending the time to watch, in my opinion.

12. This was the first time my 4 year old son saw the footage of all that happened. It was the first time I have had a conversation with someone who didn't have personal experience of that day. It reminded me of my grandma telling me about pearl harbor. Very strange.

13. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

CBS just showed it again tonight along with new interviews with some of the firemen portrayed, including updates on how responding members have been affected by cancers from working the site.

Phenomenal documentary, and I'm glad CBS didn't pull any punches.

14. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Is today.

15. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Saw that a few years ago and one of the most poignant documentaries I have ever seen. It truly showed the day like no one else will ever be able to, I believe. I'll be the first to say I did not make it through with dry eyes.