1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

890 Duke Class Eligibility

Discussion in 'General' started by Booger, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Put clip-ons and bodywork on it....No reason you'd HAVE to leave it stock.

2. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

A big reason I am considering the Duke is for the upright riding position that handlebars provide. At 6’2” I struggle to get comfortable on bikes with clip-ons.

noles19 and Jon Wilkens like this.
  3. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

I'm definitely a fan of "do it because you want to do it" rather than whether the bike is theoretically competitive. So much of the discussion is dependent on track character as well. On a safe, smooth track the committed sport bike riding position and stiffer chassis will shine. On a hilly goat path of a track with blind entries and corners that reward bravery the pilot will trump the machine.

I have had a ton of fun the past 2 years racing my Duke 690 and Kramer Single in D classes, but I didn't find myself racing more than 1 or 2 people running similar speeds. Recently I did some "what if" thinking and looked up lap times from the C classes. It turns out there would be plenty of people to run with if I'd just bumped up. I decided that this is my strategy for next year, bump up and have some fun being underbiked!

-Tom

RichB and Jon Wilkens like this.
  4. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

As in bump up on the 690 into C?

That’s bold!

5. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Come run SOS1 and a bump up class or two with AHRMA and have more folks to race with.

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never heard of Ducati? :crackup: Had nothing to do with a KTM Duke.

That being said, for those wanting to run a KTM, tell KTM to quit making such oddball shit that only a few rider want to race and they'll fit in the system better.

8. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Yeah I forgot about the 848.

So no go for running it in C? Sounds like B would be the class with A as a bump up?

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The rules now say a KTM 990 can ride in c classes in super stock. Why can't the 890 and new 990 be considered?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Who said they can't be considered?

Rule change requests are simple - email me. [email protected]. Give me your reasoning and input and if it's about a specific machine it's always nice to get some info on it as well but that part isn't hugely important with the advent of the googles.

Don't be too surprised for a new or upcoming machine if my response is I need to wait and see it on track first or there aren't enough out there to justify a potential drastic change in any given class but I do read them all and I do seriously consider the vast majority. It truly doesn't matter to me what bikes are or aren't legal for any given class as long as it's good racing with enforceable rules.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Totally fair. In this specific case it seems there is a decent amount of data and laptimes to give an idea of the pace an 890r can ride compared to a 600 along with other organizations allowing it to race 600s but I and hopefully some others considering making the switch will send a email.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Do you take it into consideration if the guy making the request is dog slow no matter what he's on ? :D

IL8APEX likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No sorry, I have to base the rules on the bikes.