1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

86' GSX-R 1100 Engine Build - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Gehr, May 28, 2012.

1. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Hey,
    I got this really clean 86' GSX-R1100 I mothballed years ago & recently decided to resurrect & am building a project bike.
    This is not going on any racetrack, bike was way too clean for that.

I cleaned up the head's intake/exhaust ports as there was lots of flash in there & a local bike machinist did a 3-angle valve job. I got a complete 6-speed trans off an 87' GSX-R750 & will drop that sucker in there.

Question is what to do with the bottom end of this engine? Engine had 58K on the clock but oil was changed frequently, it didn't burn any oil, compression was just a little out of spec on the #3 cylinder but other cylinders were within a 5 psi range.

Want to preserve whatever midrange I can as the stock airbox is gone & has a set of K&N individual air filters with a Factory Pro jet kit in the stocker carbs. Have a Hindle full exhaust mated to a Leo Vince titanium muffler.
    Should I do any work to the crank or leave it alone? (yes,I will definitely replace the bottom end bearings)
    Pistons (OEM vs A/M)?
    Anything to look out for while the cases are apart?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

3. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Head work is done, already have gasket set & new cam chain.
    About $1K, give or take...

4. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Coat the pistons, skirts moly, crown ceramic
    Having the transmission backcut and moly coated helps with shifting
    I used PolyDyn in Houston when I had my SACS motors done some 15-20 years ago.

5. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

I'd just replace the bearings in the bottom end and spend the extra money on a 78mm big bore kit. This will make your 1052 an 1109 and take care of your number 3 cylinder.

6. fistafury

fistafury Well-Known Member

I owned a similar bike and had friends with slab side 1100s running hindle pipes and the bikes worked great with stock carbs and just shimming the needles. Hindle produced pipes that could be run with stock carbs and make huge power gains.

7. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

On my 86 1109 I run a Hindle exhaust, Factory Jet kit, Wiseco pistons and the 88 slingshot cams. It runs good and I believe the last time I had it on the Dyno it made 133. Good smooth power with a decent torque number.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

$1k, you'll have to make a compromised choice between balancing the crank/rods/pistons, doing pistons and/or cams or flatslides.
    i'd do the flatslides. best bang for the buck, imo.

9. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Just realized I didn't say why to do this; reduced operating temps, that result in full hp output for sustained riding. Can't say 100% which it was doing; less friction or not transferring heat as oil temps would be 25-50 degrees cooler.

10. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

I love the sound of some Keihin flatslides

11. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Yes sir! I had flatslides on my 07 gsxr 750 and you couldnt hear them unless you put your ear up to the ram air ducts. People would come over to listen to my bike but they were not pleased when I whooped them in the 1/4 mile!

12. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Thanks for all the input!

Anyone besides Jet Hot do good exhaust coating work?
    I used to use Kal Gard in Van Nuys back in the day & was never quite happy with the durability of their stuff but back then there were very few options available.

Did anyone here drop in the GSX-R750 6 speed transmissions into their early 1100cc engines?
    I heard rumors it is possible, I know the engine cases between the 2 models are the same & I bought a complete 750cc trans with shift drum & shift forks off Ebay. Haven't pulled the cases apart & figured if someone here has done it I could get some pointers for non-obvious things to look out for.

Body panels on this bike are pristine, think it will blow some minds when this thing is all together. Will post a few pictures when this thing starts coming together...