1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

80-100% tax on bonuses for bailout companies?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by JeF4y, Mar 19, 2009.

1. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Vote is currently scheduled on a proposal to impose a 90% tax on bonuses paid out to families making more than $230k.

Some of the news articles stipulate this is on companies receiving bailout money, others don't say that.

What are your thoughts?

Right / Wrong / Unconstitutional / Immoral?

Discuss.

2. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Wrong as two boys f*cking....

3. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

But as acceptable as the same?

4. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Moronical, stoopid, immoral, and unconstitutional.

Many here that proclaiming outrage are falling into the trap of...."they are the reason, lets get them". What happens when that finger starts pointing at a bigger group of people that the government things has to much?

5. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

It's an old Army expression....

Congress fucked up when they bought AIG and now want to try and redeem themselves.

I propose a new law...elected officials work for free and cannot write books about their experience or get paid to speak after they leave office.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

As opposed as I am to the bailouts and the bonuses, I am more opposed to this.

7. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Thank god I'm not alone...

This has to be one of the most fucked up things I've ever heard out of capital hill... I mean, seriously....

If they do this I can only hope every suit in AIG walks out the door and drops a lit match in their office on the way out. THEN people can have something to bitch about...

8. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

Leave it to Schumer to come up with that one...he's such a piece of garbage.

9. Strickette

Strickette Katy, TX

The fabulous legislative branch is doing whatever they can to get the spotlight off of their piss-poor decision-making with regard to the bailout package.

Don't look over here at the mess we are making, look at those people who are making too much money, you should be outraged by that Mr. American Public. We know you are outraged and are prepared to make you feel better by taxing the everloving sh!& out of those guys since you have no hope in hell of ever earning that much money. Don't you feel much better now Mr. Public?...Oh, and make sure my poll numbers reflect that.

10. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Remember back when someone made the joke about Congress taking over the brothel and they couldn't make that work either....

it's coming true....again.

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

We should tax Congress 90% on their salaries and any monies made as a result of their Congressional servic. :up:

12. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

:stupid:

Did you hear them start whining when they pulled their automatic pay raises? They started crying about maintaining a second home and their kids going to college. Cry me a river!

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

congratulations gubment, your ruse to get people to focus on bonuses instead of how you are fucking up the country has been successful.

smokescreens my friends, smokescreens.

14. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

It really is unconstitutional. Its a bill of attainder, which the constitution specifically prohibits. However, this brings up another issue...Does that mean that the original bailout plan is also a bill of attainder and also unconstitutional? If so, what remedy could the court issue to reverse the bill?

15. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

The debate is on right now. I'm trying to find a live feed.

16. doc750

doc750 Well-Known Member

*looking for hand basket*

17. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Is Congress included in this? Should they be returning all compensation since the start of the deficit?

18. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers

19. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

He really is a piece of $hit... he accepted political cash donations directly from Madoff and when asked (numerous times) to return the monies to the victims, he refused.

It wasn't until a local news channel took up the story and during an interview, shamed him into returning the money. They were going to continue to follow up with him until the money was returned... apparently they don't trust him either... :cool:

20. 999

999 Well-Known Member

Calder v. Bull

I think it's awesome. :crackup:

And it's not a bill of attainder, despite what some right wing blog may have told you.