1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 Cylinder Ducati Twin? 4 Cylinder Z50?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Sep 29, 2011.

1. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Would that be considered a 1-stroke engine? From the animation it looks like it generates a power pulse to the crank on both the up and down stroke of the con rods.

2. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

The extra "rods" don't really move quite as far as a conventional rod either, which I would think puts less stress on them. Also, given that the outer piston's power stroke is actually "lifting" the main rod could mean less overall stress on it as well, and maybe smoother power delivery.

Anyway, I don't see it being necessarily inferior to the design we're all used to....just different. It just seems doubtful that it would be as efficient or able to produce as much power, but what the heck do I know.
    Pure genius either way.

3. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

868cc

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Oh. That 80hp number just got a lot less impressive.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Well remember, it is an air cool motor.....

6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Eh, the extra rods move as far as the piston does....

Like I said, the only advantage I see is less rotating mass. I'd bet money this design has a higher assembley weight than a conventional design would with a similar bore/stroke. The secondary rods will need to be much heavier since all of the load is a bending load as opposed to the main load on a conventional rod being compresion or extension. Its MUCH easier to break a stick across your knee as opposed to pulling it apart.

What do I know though, I'm just some dumbass who prefers to use chain lube to lube his chains instead of WD-40...

I definatly wouldn't refer to this as genius either though.

7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

No, the pistons are still making four strokes to complete a cycle.

8. Chip

Chip Registered

The "little rods" are going to have a crazy high rod angle which is going to cause a ton of frictional loss.

Rotational mass is lower than a V8....but not the twin its based off of, and reciprocal mass is going to go through the roof! You would have to use roller bearings on all the pivot points and with all the rods and rockers....wow.

I would go as far as saying its inferior until he actually makes it work and it make more power than a conventional engine of the same displacement.

Like everybody else pointed out....its the answer to the questions nobody is asking.....and a very heavy complicated inefficient answer at that.

The Z50 is cool though.....I would want the 4 cylinder Z50 way more than the stupid ducati.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Dynamic reciprocating force at the small end of the rods on the main crank must be an interesting harmonic. Rev it to 12K and see what flies off. We studied stuff like this in college and snickered at feasibility. Hats off to Dieter for proceeding past the 'that's never going to work' stage.

10. Chip

Chip Registered

Glad you saw this.....thought of you when I posted it.

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's cool. It's probably not efficient at high rpm. Air compressor, generator, sweet.

That's my analysis, but Rossi may have tested it already.

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Big Diesels in ships and big gennies have some thing vaguely similar, to lessen angular torque on the main rod. There's a secondary rod that has angular velocity while the main rod on the crank just goes up and down at minor angles.

13. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Very interesting, although when it says he's shooting for 80hp out of what used to be a Ducati twin it seems like too much cost and too many parts for not enough gain to be worth it... That Z50 sounded mean though!

14. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I thought it should have gone faster... lots faster.

Also looked like it was about to snow in that video, so, glad I'm not in Northern Germany with a mill and too much time in the winter, or I'd end up with a FrankenEngine, too.

15. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Yeah I was disappointed that it wasn't a fire breathing wheelie monster too, but it still sounded cool! All bark and no bite would get old after a couple laps of the parking lot though.

16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Had to be a fucking Deutscher. Cool as shit, but what's the point? I don't see any possible performance advantage vs. conventional design.

What happened to the 500CC V8 project some Englander was cooking up in his basement? I read up on it in RRW about 5 years ago. Did he ever stick it in a bike? I think he was basing it on 2 Ninja 250 motors together.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  17. Chip

Chip Registered

18. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I thought that too, but then thought about that it likely still had stock trans and gearing, which likely would not allow it to take full advantage of any power the thing may make.

but a 125cc big bore Z50 is not exactly a rocket ship either, which is what you would have to compare this to.

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

20. got40

got40 On hiatus...

Who cares what the advantage is. That thing is freakin cool!

We engineers don't care about practical applications.:cool: