1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 and 4 not 10 and 2

Discussion in 'General' started by james walker, Jul 9, 2013.

1. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

sounds like a Chicago song :D

...i was talking to my neighbor the other day who's daughter just started driving and he mentioned that they teach you now that you should drive with your hands at 8 and 4...not 10 and 2 like they used to teach (and definitely not one at 12 and one on the center console or arm rest...like i like to pimp it :D). he didn't really have an answer as to why so i googled it.

dayum. do i need to retrain or just disconnect my airbag? :eek:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've been doing the 9 and 3 ever since I saw open wheel racers doing it that way. Then again, their steering wheels don't even have a top or bottom any more.

I'm not too worried about my thumbs......my problem is that I use the top of my steering wheel as a drum practice pad and one day my airbag is going to deploy and send a 7A wood tip right through my skull.

3. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

My dad always taught me to hold the wheel like the racers, lest I wanted broken wrists in an accident. That was my first driving lesson, it was also one I had to abandon during the road test. Nice that driver's ed is finally catching up.

4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Interesting......

I can say that after being punched in the face with an airbag (on April fools day, go figure), I do think about them more.

I've been changing my grip up some....new truck, new wheel....but I still find myself creeping back to the 12 O'clock and console posture.:D

Walker, is this the same neighbor who did the hack job hair cut on your dog?:Poke:

5. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

or a messed up Dr Pepper ad.

I prefer 12 and/or 8. 12:00 with the left hand so i can rest the left arm on the door, and/or 8:00 with the left knee, which leaves the right hand free to do other stuff (eat, drink, turn off the gdxm cuz they play the same sh*t no matter which channel i'm on). Also, 12:00 is the easiest spot to hold the phone and text and still keep one eye on the road.

And don't even start cuz you know you do it too. :D

6. triffecpa

triffecpa Well-Known Member

yes, it's an airbag thing. They want your arms out of the way in case the airbag deploys.

Tracy

7. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Why not engineer the airbag to be a more appropriate shape? Would it be that much less effective to make it rectangular, oval, or even more hourglass shaped? 8 and 4 doesn't seem to be a highly effective position for vehicle control, as a leverage thing.

8. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I go 9-3 when I race. I do the 12 noon daily driving. But I do grab 9-3 if there is an "oh shit" moment

9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

right elbow on console, hand at 5 on the wheel

10. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

9-3 here most the time. Racing habit. Even one handed its either at 9 or at 3.

11. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Knee at 6:00 :D

12. Sitting Indian style with feet at 5 and 7. It leaves my hands free for more important shit, like texting and posting.

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

This or left elbow on door and hand at 9.

14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I'm normally at ten and three in the race car, but find myself with only the ten o'clock only on the wheel much of the time.

I am normally around ten and three on the street also, but I haven't been in a crash to blow the airbags yet either... Them things are pretty violent when they deploy...

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hands on the phone, knee under the wheel. :D

16. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

if memory serves, my mom used to drive with her left hand at 12 and swinging wildly at my brother and me in the back seat.

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

:crackup:

18. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Left hand 12:00...Right hand beer...why would anybody change that for airbags........

19. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

That's how I remember it! I swear she had a telescoping right arm, she could smack me when I was cowering in the far back corner of a Buick station wagon!

20. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

I just let my truck steer itself