1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$7500 OBO 2011 MotoAmerica R6 (Michael Gilbert's Spare)

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by David_Nepo, May 29, 2019.

1. David_Nepo

David_Nepo Member

Bought for $9k then spent $2k on parts/paint job. Got tons of medical bills and have to sell it. 2011 R6, MotoAmerica Superstock Spec, built by Tige Daane/Cycle Mall (Dave Moss’ former partner), Michael Gilbert’s spare bike, I think Josh Picard might've shared it as backup. Located in San Diego area/local pickup only. Tige said Michael Gilbert won a race with this setup.

**Sprung for around 160-180lb in full gear. Replacement springs are NOT available/JRi prototype preasurized forks and shock.

- Bike has a title/clean
    - Purchased Sept 2017 and rode 2 track days in Oct 2017. Haven’t been able to ride it since/spine issue that needed surgery.
    - Bike was used for 2 full race weekends during 2017 MotoAmerica season, then the 2 slow track days I did.

- JRi pressurized forks, 0.90 spring rate. Prototypes from before Ohlins bought the patent from them, so I dont think springs are available. Only Tige Daane can service them as well. I was told these are the only ones with a ride height setting separate from preload.
    - JRi Rear Shock. Same as above, this design wasn't in production and were scrapped after Ohlins bought JRi.
    - Flashtune ECU is LOCKED AND CANNOT BE EDITED. You can reach out to Tige if you feel like anything needs changing, but I think he knows his stuff and his settings shouldn't be messed with.
    **Handlebar switches for traction control on/off, 2 different off throttle engine braking maps, and put lane speed limiter
    - Brand new Graves full titanium exhaust
    - Graves progressive throttle
    - GPR Damper
    - Vortex rear sets
    - New linkage. New swing arm and head bearings.
    - New chain and sprocket
    - 2x NIB Vesrah Super RJL XX pads (uninstalled)
    - NIB Yamaha OEM clutch kit. Tige provided this at time of purchase. The stack height is good to go. (THIS NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED/started slipping at my last track day).
    - New fairings, paint, windshield, levers, frame sliders, and tank grip pads..
    - 1x spare front and 1x spare rear wheel
    - 6x rear take offs and 3x front take offs (all under 20 laps, most 12-16).

Front view vid. Please don't comment on how slow I am. I already know I needed lots of classes and was definitely planning on them:
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155570937080552&id=579850551

Attached Files:

2. David_Nepo

David_Nepo Member

3. Dylan T

Dylan T Member

Clean bike! How are long are these motors built to last before a refresh/rebuild is needed ? Thanks

4. David_Nepo

David_Nepo Member

Thanks. Yeah, I was told to go primer only, but actually had finds when I bought it and blew over $1k on the paint. We repainted the frame too and I have pictures of it before if you want to see them.

For the motor, I was told it will be good for 2 full race seasons (1 year), then might drop 5hp or so. Before I bought it, it was used for 2 full race weekends including practice sessions, then I just used it for 2 track days. Tige Daane can be found on FB if you need to message to confirm on that though.

5. Dylan T

Dylan T Member

sent you a PM

David_Nepo likes this.
  6. David_Nepo

David_Nepo Member

Bump... I've received feedback that $7500 might be a bit high, so please feel free to send over any offers. Please keep in mind Tige charges $5k-$6k just for the engine build alone and that this was not a back-of-the grid spec bike (Michael Gilbert won a couple races). This is also a healthy engine as it was only used for 2 race weekends and was refreshed before the season started.

Since people messaged me about the race plates, please note that I never raced this. My plate shows #416 and if you look that up, it was never licensed/registered. I planned on registering that number, but after the 2 intermediate track days I did, the epidurals wore off and the pinched nerve in my spine prevented me from being able to ride at all, let alone get licensed to race. I only bought the bike because I mistakenly thought the epidurals fixed the pain issues, but didn't know it was only temporary. After all of the medical issues, it put me in financial hardship and I am now forced to sell this bike that was barely used.

7. Goat

Goat Apex Assassins Ops

This is an incredible package for the price...a MotoAmerica spec R6 for $7k is a steal.

I've spoken with a few people about the JRi kit that Tige was developing (including Tige himself) and I would not let the one off suspension bits deter ones interest whatsoever. Especially since it's a brilliant setup.

FTECU can unlock the ECU if anyone wanted to re-flash or re-tune the bike, for whatever reason.

GLWS, David!

8. guitarhero

guitarhero Well-Known Member

Gary Dean of SpeedDemonMotorcycles (was under Meen Motorsports at that time) used to do most of Tige's motors (I've got a few engines from him and tracked back to Gary)...Gary charges around 2k for a superstock build (if he doesn't have to replace much) so the 5-6k for an engine build it a tad bit high, maybe a SBK engine, not a superstock (was supersport back then).

9. David_Nepo

David_Nepo Member

Weekend bump. Please see comments above for updates/info. Thanks!

10. Quin

Quin Member

Still for sale? Where are you located?

11. Evolution247

Evolution247 Well-Known Member

I believe he sold it already via the Facebook marketplace.