1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

675 engine problems?

Discussion in 'General' started by Auron, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Im looking at a 675r for lots of track use but reading on the triumph forum a stock engine does not tolerate a lot of really hard use. Whats the word from those that have or knows someone that has raced one?

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Mine has almost 13000 race miles on it. Engine has been built twice (superstock build) for performance, not because it blew up. Don't abuse the red line and I don't think they are better or worse than anything else out there.

3. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Its possible they were talking about the 1st gen bikes.

4. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Mine is first gen, 2007.

5. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

I have one a 2012 I've been told that the valves can break with a lot of use but mine is bone stock engine with 6500 miles of track only use and haven't had any issues, as long as you change the oil and don't hold it on the Rev limiter I doubt you'll have problems. I only race and the bike has only ever raced, before I owned it, it was an ama pro practice bike, I'm sure it's been well abused

6. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Its my first choice over a 600rr. I guess some say Japanese bikes are best to beat the hell out of but they dont make anything like the daytona!

7. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

I've only recently been interested in the 675. I figured if the rule book is going to allow cheating with an extra 75cc of displacement, I might as well take advantage :D

I do know a certain someone in my region seemed to have constant issues with his (I think an earlier year), but hadn't heard of too many others having many issues, especially not recently. I think the build is better understood and they seem to run fine now.

I will say that I was near a group of people that I believe were associated with the main builder in these parts and when one of their bikes came onto the straight and bumped the limiter, they all seemed to indicate that engine was now toast. Maybe it was in jest, but they indicated that that motor would be for sale soon because of it.

I take it that the engine is decent but maybe a bit more fragile near redline. Funny how that works. With my GSXR the redline has just been a mild suggestion and the rev limiter was a friendly reminder to shift. Not so with the 675

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You should pm Robby Bobby on here, from d&d cycles.

9. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Does he tune them?

10. noles19

Builds them and has raced them since they came out, so if there are issues he would know about them

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

They are pretty damn reliable.

Depending on your pace, in stock form with bolt on stuff without cracking valve cover, 115hp.

With stock cams they don't make power at the rev limiter. No need to be anywhere near the limiter.

12. Robby-Bobby

What year are you looking at?

13. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

A 2013

14. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

I can hang with an intermediate club racer but only for a few laps

15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Yeah, but everything he knows about them he learned from Facebook track day groups.

16. noles19

Well duh, I figured this went without saying. Its also where he learned body postion and how to read tires. But then again isn't that where we all learn?

17. Ride it like at 675 where the power is and you will be fine. Everyone I know that had issues ride them like an R6 revving the piss out of them, they don't like it and as Robby Von Mcklendin Von Bobby said the power drops off any. Put a shift light on and set it to what the dyno says.

18. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

There is a couple 2012's near me, same story?

19. Robby-Bobby

I'd look for 13+

The previous gens are great but the newer are simply better in every aspect IMO.

20. Robby-Bobby

Attached Files:

metricdevilmoto likes this.