1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

55mpg Non-Hybrid Honda Civic!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by jeffrop, Aug 6, 2008.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Oooooo, oooooooo, Mr Kotter, I think I know the answer.....

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Actually whole thread doesn't need to be in General. Time for a move.

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Well, actually, I do want to correct ignorance when I see it, butt I too am smarter than the average bear. (most of the time)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  4. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Debatable!:Poke:

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

80s k cars used to get 35mpg pretty easily.
    I saw someone driving a yugo the other day. I cant imagine maintaining a car like that for 20yrs...lol.
    In the early 90s.... cell phones cost more than a used Yugo...hehe.

Ive had pretty good luck with vehicles and getting my $$$ back out of them.
    Of course I only bought two new 4 wheeled vehicles in the past 20yrs. About 16 2 wheeled. Everything else has been used.

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

K cars sucked! My dad had one. I never like them much. Okay for straight away but in turns the suspension was squimish and the tires squeal like pigs.

K cars, how our governmen saved Chrysler. (Good thing this thread was brought to the Dungeon)

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

You sure are a killjoy sometimes. :D

8. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

1. 2002 Volkswagen Jetta 4 cylinder 42 city / 49 hwy

2. Jetta Gets Top Crash Safety Rating

9. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

2002 is not 1980

49 is not 55

Except maybe in Canada?

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

My "new" runaround car is a 1994 Geo Metro with a 1 liter 3 cylinder engine, and 5 speed trans. This car is actually a Suzuki Swift built in Canada. During the summer, with the A/C on I'm getting about 40 to 43 mpg. With no A/C it will get about 48 to 53. It's a hoot to drive. Pulling a long hill in 5th gear with the A/C on it will very slowly lose speed until I turn off the A/C then it feels like you just gassed it. ZOOM!! Well, not really, since it only has 55 hp. :D

11. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

"Smart USA has no plans to offer a diesel-powered version of its Fortwo micro car in the United States, the division's president said Wednesday.

Dave Schembri of Smart USA said the gasoline alternative has not been in its plans because strict regulations in the U.S. would make it difficult to sell a diesel car in all 50 states."

whether or not the EPA specificly regulates it they have made it difficult enough that the manufacturer isn't investing the capital to get it here.

So I probably did make a false blanket statement but it is a direct result of regulation.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Which means CARB.

13. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I saw a Chevette in a parking lot today (yes, I guess there is one still still running) and I thought to myself, "Jeez I could buy that and drive it instead of my gas guzzlin truck."

Somebody shoot me.

14. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I was working with Honda back when they were still making HF's. Yes, they got great fuel milage, but they were underpowered. A lot of people bought them for the fuel milage, but after 6,000-7,000 miles many were traded in for more powerful cars. These cars were only putting out about 60 horsepower.
    In comparison, the VTEC-E Civic, introduced in 1992, made over 90 horsepower with almost the same milage. I didn't see too many of these sold. I guess the problem was that the upscale Civic models were more desirable and sold better.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Would you dare to put Papa's daughter in that car?

16. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Good point. Papa would jihad my ass.

17. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

The same time you injected the safety issue of driving an old car or getting better gas mileage.

Seems to me a certain brand of motorcycle ALSO has a reputation of breaking in half when coming into contact with other objects...you know, the brand you are so very familiar with, not to mention the fact that ANY contact on a street motorcycle could kill you, while you're trying to save on gas by riding one.

Sorry you didn't get the connection. Sometimes it's lonely out here in left field.

Besides, it's my thread and I can say what I want! :Poke: :D

18. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I thought the thread was about how manufacturers' claims of current cars being fuel efficient are misleading.

Nope. But 49 is quite close and it doesn't break in half in a crash. So it's not really fair to say it's an either-or choice.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not exactly, but it did veer off in that direction.

20. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

I started this thread because I remembered from my childhood manufacturers claims that certain cars could achieve 50+ mpg. I did a quick google search and found corroborating information to that affect. Now, a rating of 35 mpg is considered exceptional.

I just find it ironic that in todays world of high tech and high energy costs, we can't seem to accomplish what was accomplished 28 years ago.

Now we need electric or "hybrid" technology to achieve similar mileage numbers. Granted the cars are safer which translates to heavier, and there are higher pollution restrictions.

I just think with all the advancements in technologies the manufacturers should be able to achieve much higher fuel efficiencies while keeping costs in line.

There must be some underlying reason/s is what I originally implied. All else aside.