1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50 carb suggestions

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by JBowen33, Jun 22, 2020.

1. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

My sons crf50 is constantly pissing gas out of the carb after sitting for the last month. I’ve tried taking it apart, cleaning it etc but it still flows out. The inside of the carb you can tell the ethanol fuel had its way with it with some corrosion on the float, insides etc... and also the rubber lines are a little bit brittle and they weren’t before.

My question is... Are the cheap eBay carbs decent enough? He’s not racing it just riding around the backyard still with training wheels.

Any insight is appreciated thanks

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I think a new carb for my 70 is $125 from Honda. Probably 10x the cost of a knock off. I will never go down that road again as I bought a knockoff for a 100... once
    had it for 10 mins before I gave it away the day it arrived. Honda usually sells rebuilt kits. Looks like a complete new carb is $86 from honda. Maybe try boats.net for this part #:
    16100-GEL-A21

3. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Sounds like the float valve is sticking or its rubber cone is damaged. I would just replace that part + a proper cleaning. This wont happen as much if you use corn free gas or add a stabilizer.

4. The.Johnner

The.Johnner Active Member

I just inherited a pocket bike from my neighbor with the same issue. Other than that it runs fine. I'm assuming it was made in China... any suggestions for how to find the right replacement parts? (float valve)

5. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

You can get an entire china carb for what a Jap float valve costs. Good luck finding the right one, ebay is probably your best bet for that junk.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    TurboBlew and The.Johnner like this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You mentioned the rubber getting brittle. If the rubber tip of the float needle is brittle, it's not gonna seal and that could very likely be your issue.

After you sort this situation out, turn the petcock off prior to parking the bike and do a few more laps of the backyard so the carb will run dry. Now you can park it with a reasonably strong certainty that you will not have carb issues next time you go to start it regardless of the the type of fuel.

The.Johnner likes this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I rebuilt my TTR50 carb last weekend. Took the whole fucking thing apart, cleaned it, new jets, etc. Go to fire it up and it runs great for 10 seconds and then dies. Runs for 20 seconds and then bogs when throttle is applied. Futzed with it for another hour, changed the sparkplug, played with the idle screw, etc. Right as I'm about to swear off carbs forever and start a new thread asking for help here, I decide to make sure there's gas in the tank.

There wasn't :rolleyes:. Put some Trufuel in there and now it's running like a top.

8. The.Johnner

The.Johnner Active Member

That's the thing, I don't like buying Chinese (fuel filter was installed backward...), but this one fell into my lap... I've been using the petcock method for now.