1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42 years old. Am I to late to start riding the track?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by lacofdfireman, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

No it won't, not at 6'4"/250. You'll look like an adult Silver Back Male Gorilla trying to copulate an American football or Vern Troyer having relations with a pocket bike.

2. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Ok let me clarify. It won't get it done against the 75lb kids, but it will power you around a track sufficiently. That better for you?

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

A new track rider on a 250 is gonna get ass-packed by an overzealous squid on a 1000.
    At least bring a comparable weapon. :D

4. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Pretty much

This.

Unless you are doing track days at a Kart track, I'd opt for an SV or an older 600 .

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

yes,but he wants a bike to share between his son and himself.the son doesnt ride street yet,if i recall.if and when they do there first trackday,he should be able to find a coach and explain the deal that they want to hang with them in a good effort to help ward the 1k cc squids.thats how the trackday local works where i go.they are understandable

6. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

C'mon... race a 250 with me a couple times. Promise I won't make you look like the football :D

7. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

A track day won't scare the crap out of you. You'll have fun.....probably a lot more than you've had in a long time. Just start out in the novice group, pay attention at the riders' meeting and use some common sense. You won't know unless you try, right? Who knows? You might have skills.

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

^^^THIS^^^
    Just be prepared to get rid of all your available cash:up:

9. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

My buddy Bob started racing when he was 46. Our friend Mike stopped racing in like "90 and just started back this year at the age of 59. Both have continuously said how young they feel again. Motivation.

10. isxlow

isxlow Well-Known Member

I am 45 and loving it... except when I crash. Get your bike can come play. Age matters not if you are having fun doing what you love.

11. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I started doing track days when I was 47, started racing when I was 53, raced this year and I'll be 60 in five weeks. I have a good friend who still races the AHRMA serises on his SV650, and he is 73. He regularly hands the young guys their asses.

Here's my recommendation: Find any bike that moves your soul, take it to a track day and say "I'm new here, would you guys help me out?" That's all you need. From there on in, the fraternity of motorcycle track folks will have you.

You don't need any specific bike, as long as it is in decent (safe) condition and will corner with decent stability. You can always get a different bike later once you decide if you like going fast with no cops...

12. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

that's awesome

13. JLUnlimited

JLUnlimited Future hopeful For MotoAmerica

Never to old

Being a little younger then you but I did start racing alot older then alot of the guys that are riding now or some in the AMA. But I love riding and teaching other to ride safe and some to ride fast. But the love has to be there first and foremost.

Hearing that you are established and have kids that are enjoying the sport or doing it as a recreation is the best bonding time for a dad and his son or daughter for that matter, just go out and have fun, no one says that you have to get a race prepped bike and have to win first place in anything, just go out and see if you like the feeling of being out side of your comfort zone. . Just a bit ! ! If it is not for you of you just want to putt around with your son then by all means do that. :up:

I think of you find not just a local track but a riding/track day organization first and see whats available to you then you may have a better idea of what you will be looking at to play on the track. There are a few out there on the west coast, there may be some deals you can get also like used suits and a used bike so that the cost will not scare you . . :wow:

I hope I helped you out a little . . .

14. RayH

RayH Air Cavalry!

I am 52 / 53 in December. started in 2007 gave up my bike in 2009 divorce thing, started back up in 2012. You got a passion for it, do it!!! I started on a R1 and have one now.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

High five on that.

16. jimgl3

jimgl3 Well-Known Member

started trackdays at 45 and racing at 49 about to turn 50 in November. get on it!

17. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

aint that the truth :crackup:

18. nantahala

nantahala Well-Known Member

Started at 40 and am 42 now. Most fun I've had in a while, especially being with friends and family (Dad in particular). Gives you something to look forward to when the week drags on sometimes.

Do it!

Matt

19. Goodwood

Goodwood Well-Known Member

44 and I race a sv650. SV's are fun to race but can be a bit frustrating for track days. Guys who may be much slower than you are tough to get away from when they're so much faster in a straight line. You might look for a 600, they're everywhere, and can be found fairly cheap. Oh yea, DO IT!!

20. superduck996

superduck996 Well-Known Member

I'm on a sv this year, off season I plan to sell it and build a 600 not because of the power but because of the grid size, the sv is an amazing bike with incredible handling and very forgiving to mistakes. I think it should be everyone's first track bike.