1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$400,000 Awarded In Racial Profiling Case

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Robert, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I didn't suggest tossing security altogether, just the dumb waste of money stuff, the only purpose of which is to keep the public from being scared.

Actual terrorists who are on the no-fly lists would be arrested if they didn't use assumed names (which aren't on the no-fly lists). And people trying to sneak bombs on board don't deliberately draw attention to themselves by chanting the Koran in waiting lounges.

2. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

You!:Poke:

3. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

<crickets>

4. R1ZOOM

R1ZOOM Well-Known Member

:stupid:

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And who makes the determination on what is dumb and what is needed, you, me?

No it is better to scrap the whole system. If a hijacker gets on board, maybe someone will have had the forethought to bring their own properly licensed concealed weapon and blow the MF'er away. As long as the round doesn't penetrate the skin, no harm, no foul. What the hell it's only a few hundred lives. What is a life compared to inconvenience and discrimination?

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Au contrire, mon frere...those things are there to keep us scared, not keep us from being scared. How else can you do stuff like pass the Patriot Act? Can't.

7. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Things are getting a bit more sophisticated than just checking names - some US airports are deploying iris scanners and other biometric ID systems. Tough to fool them.

8. Shyster d'Oil

Agree, but this will help us avoid more terrorist strikes only if we have the bad guys i the data base and know that they are bad guys.

I say do what El Al does and body cavity search everyone. Check all luggage, checked or carry-on. Use bomb sniffing dogs.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I bet that's all you're waiting for to enroll in every frequent flyer program available and discover yourself a new passion for flying.

10. Robert

And lots of people in the Middle East still don't have even paper identification cards.

Iris scanning could be just the thing for pre-profiling. Imagine how much more efficient discrimination could be! ;)

11. Shyster d'Oil

There's nothing like having a burly, hairy El Al security guard look in your navel with his pen light.

12. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

A simple solution is biometric data in your passport, combined with an application you can make to have a FULL BACKGROUND SECURITY CHECK done.

This way, all the regular US apple-pie citizens can breeze through Security.

Ok - so it means that the foreign types (such as myself) get searched, but with so few people going through Security, it would take a fraction of the time.

Everyone's a winner.:up:

Plus, all those over-weight (with attitude), working in ATL security, can finally get a proper job using their new-found skills to herd farm animals ;)

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Don't they already have those kind of cards? I think that the cards are called VIP passes made up for people that travel a lot. Am I correct? It seems like I've heard this before.

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Kind of like a new version of Russian Roulette. :beer:

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

But the ads would be new:

Fly Delta. Our Planes Blow Up Less Often Than Any Other Companies....

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Good point.

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I doubt that that would work in this country. We have so many warped people here that there would be hundreds standing in line just so they could have their "cavities searched."
    (Oh please officer, look deeper.):)

18. Robert

Yup. My little joke was to offer the cards to the “shady looking” people, not the white execs.

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I like the idea Orvis proposed a while back; Issue everyone a handgun upon boarding.

20. Robert

That was my suggestion back when we were discussing the new sky marshals. Nobody seemed to like it at the time. :D