1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$4 Billion Elections

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by BigBird, Nov 3, 2014.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It only gets worse before it'll ever get better too. Like a computer crashes and needs to be reboot when its having a major problem.....so too does society in general :D

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  3. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

watching the oligarchy vie to protect their power is interesting now that the stops are off their political spending.

As John McCain said, the only thing that will stop this is a HUGE scandal, which will happen eventually.

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Well, for perspective, Americans just handed out $2.2 Billion in Halloween candy.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

That was for "the children" you heartless oaf. :tut:

6. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

the amount of empty Almond Joy wrappers on my nightstand disagrees with you.

Damn I love those things.

7. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

What a load of crap. "Americans" couldn't have bought anything with that. They suggest that we spend that money on more fighter jets or education. Well, guess what. That money came from the coffers of individuals, unions and private companies, not Federal or state tax money. Of course, everything now belongs to the collective. Hence, any spending not in line with the writer's thinking is a malinvestment. $ 4 billion is barely anything when viewed rationally, that works out to about $ 13 for every American. Anyhow, people make too much of the money spent in politics. People could spend $ 100 billion on the Democratic candidate for President in 2016, there's not a chance in hell I'm going to vote for the Hildebeest or whatever fascist freak they nominate.

8. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

If we're counting, the Koch brothers may spend nearly $290mil this season buying their influence. It's an old article but it made me think of them when you said individuals.

9. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

And? Are you going to change your mind about an issue just because 290 million in ads was spent?

10. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

~$100M spent on political advertising in NC this go around. ~70% from out of state. Democracy for sale on the global market. :down:

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

A Keynesian wet dream. Massive cash velocity and zero production.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And it's all spent for one vote, to meet the 50% plus 1.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I just want it all to be over. Listening to those cock suckers lie about each other day in and day out has got me ready to go postal. If you have all of the things that your opponent does wrong listed but nothing positive to say about yourself you should be executed at center field at Superbowl halftime, not deciding the direction of the country.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Spend more! Spend double! Shit, if you're not doubling what people spend on Halloweener, you're a complete chickenshit!

I don't care! I didn't give any of these politicians a penny (voluntarily) so I don't give a chevy truck how much they spend.

15. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

:crackup: Oh the memories.:clap:

16. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

bingo. (i like having a potty mouth)

i DO think its kind of disgusting though.

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

One can tell that he is loosing interest in the political process when he does like I've been doing lately when I started watching the TV ads and how they are put together rather than the content of the ad. (They're all the same.)

For example, locally there is one race (I don't even remember which) between two women where the Republican ad calls the Democratic candidate "liberal Libby" (her name is Libby something or other) and says a bunch of stuff that cannot be proven with a kind of dark music in the background. Then it switches to the Republican candidate (accompanied with soft upbeat music) and how she is going to save the world, pay off your debts, kiss your babies goodnight, protect the border, and generally ride a white horse every day while "Liberal Libby" will join Obama to open the border, raise taxes, ride a black horse while swinging an axe and screw everyone.

(I kind of embellished that last part but hey, if they can do it so can I.)

Some of these ads are really polished.