1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

300 Blackout... why do I need it?

Discussion in 'General' started by tropicoz, Sep 28, 2016.

1. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I've built a few 5.56 rifles over the years and I've never needed/wanted any other caliber out of th AR platform, but the 300 AAC has me thinking about getting on that bandwagon. Give me some input guys!

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Best reason I can think of is so when SHTF, you'll have to rely on only your own ammo stockpiles instead of being able to use one of the most plentiful rounds in the world.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Because it's a great round for a SBR/pistol length AR. I have a lower and a stripped upper sitting in my shop just waiting for me to get off my ass and get a barrel and the rest of the shit. I built a 5.56, then got hyper for the other calibers after I built my 6.8SPC. It's a sweet rifle, hopefully it'll dispatch a few coyotes off my buddy's farm this fall.

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

In that case, he can go stealth ninja with subsonic and a suppressor and take what he needs.
    The blackout round seems pretty versatile. I would try it if I was inclined towards the AR platform.

5. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

The only plus I see to the 300 is running it suppressed like Sacko said. It's supposed to be way more reliable with feeding . Other than that just get an AK . Or build an AK AR at least the ammo is cheap and plentiful .

6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Meh. Who needs a reason anyway. More ARs is mo betta

Steeltoe, tropicoz and knutz like this.
  7. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Suppressed or SBR is the main one. If your state doesnt let you hunt deer with .223 and you still want to use your AR is another. It hits harder under around 200 yardsish dependingon bullet and load.

That's about all I got.

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Tried it and sold it. I used mine for hunting and it was good but for pigs it didn't have the knock down needed over 150 yards. It was cool to have a 8.5 sbr but having to wait for pigs to get close enough wasn't doing it for me.

Using 6.8 sbr now and not looking back and ammo is a lot cheaper.

Shooting sub sonic is pretty useless in real world scenarios

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It makes a lot of sense for an sbr. The powder burns a lot faster so there's less flash.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If/when I break down and buy this Sig that I want, I'll get all three caliber conversions for it: 556, 300, and 762/39.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

No 7.62x51? :Poke:

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Thats true but for my purposes I'm not in Afghanistan so Ill take bullet performance over flash for killing things in hunting scenarios.

I wish sub sonic would work but after the first subsonic shot the pigs scatter any way unfortunately . They've gotten too smart :(

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Too long

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The cartridge or the platform?

I have no use, zero, for a short range cartridge. That's what pistols and shotguns are for...or do you guys think you'll be goin' door-to-door? Against who, your neighbors?

If SHTF and zombies get that close, what were you waiting for? The whites of their eyes?
    You want knock down deadly at 1000yds. 7.62x51, it's good all the way up to point blank, for fuck's sake. What good is a glorified pistol projectile? Just get an AK and call it a day. In the mean time, some zombie with an AR is gonna take you out as you attempt to dial him in...

The point is, if you have to get danger close to utilize your weapon effectively, someone's gonna take you out before you get a chance to use it. Might as well just carry a knife...you might not get shot if you don't appear to be a threat.

Steak Travis likes this.
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There's a non-subsonic version of the round too, you know.

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Just got a new sling and scope for my 7.62x51 today. Deer season is right around the corner:D

pickled egg likes this.
  17. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

It's barrier penetrating ballistics are superior to the 5.56. If you have an extra AR laying around... Why not do a barrel swap and have that capability?

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Because .308 :D

DucatiBomber likes this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Because why the f@ck not!?!? Plus, chicks dig it.

20. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

That round is designed for SBR use. You get basically the same performance as 7.62x39 out of a 9" barrel. So it makes sense if you want great power in a short barrel. What people are saying about distance is going to change depending on if you are shooting subsonic or not. If you are shooting subsonic, you are getting similar performance to a .45 from what I recall when looking at the numbers. It's really a niche round, it is awesome for one purpose and that's performance in an SBR, and compatible with the AR platform with just a barrel swap. (shooting a variety of loads might give you cycling issues so an adjustable gas block is wise)

I have all the parts laying there just waiting for me to assemble a 10.5" and I just have not got around to doing it. I'm considering a different plan because I don't want to add yet another caliber to my mix. I have too many already!

EDIT: after typing this I realized that I forgot about losing all my guns in that boating accident last month

tropicoz likes this.