1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.30/06

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dits, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

All I used for several years. Got two Woodsmasters. Well, I did before the sinkhole accident ate them all.:eek:

2. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Imagine a M1918 BAR on full auto fired from the shoulder.. Badass.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Since Dart spoke about wanting to fire a BAR I've been looking for a place that you can rent one. I'm dying to fire one.

I'll be in vegas in a few months on business and was going to spend a few hours at the gun store. Problem is then when I go and get on my flight home and go through TSA. . . I don't want a $8 an hour, two fisted colonoscopy.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I traded for a Ruger M77 .243 about a month ago and still haven't had a chance to fire it. Biggest bore rifle I've ever owned is a .30-.30. What kind of kick does a .243 have?

5. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Just purchased 600 rounds of some '68 Lake City already clipped.

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Just about none. It's what I hunted with when I was 14.

7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i had the same rifle and love it. not much kick at all, flat shooting round, great for varmints and smaller game. i took a 175 pound wild pig with mine at 190 yards (laser rangefinder verified) and it was a nice clean kill.

i would still love it if that band of gypsies hadnt cleaned me out of all my firearms.

:D

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The deer you're hunting riding around in M3 half track? :D

9. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

:stupid:

10. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I have some time behind a BAR. Between the gas op and the heft, (15ish lbs?) the recoil is fairly soft.

11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

bmw makes that? :D

12. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

Fired hundreds of rounds out of a 30-06. Compared to a lot of the magnum rounds recoil is not that bad. 30-06 was the standard military caliber of the US Army and was used in World War I, World War II and Korea. It was replaced by the M14 in 7.62 NATO which is referred to as the .308 Winchester. We did this to standardize ammo with NATO countries and also that the 308 functions better in machine gun because the case is significantly shorter than the 30-06. The .270 is a 30-06 case knecked down to .277. The .243 is a .308 case knecked to .243. It has minimal recoil.

13. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Yup. Although the CMP offers the Garand in .308 as well.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I deer hunt with a 30-06.....I've shot 5 rounds in the last 5 years...killed 5 deer. I don't even bother sighting it in.....save a lot in ammo costs. :D I will admit that it is overkill.

I shot my 10 point through the heart. The entrance and exit wounds were tiny. When I gutted the deer and removed the heart, the hydraulic shock to the heart muscle was amazing....there was a golf ball size chunk missing.

15. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I need to go out and shoot mine again. Too much fun.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd rather shoot a steel butt-plate 30-06 Garand than a .308 bolt rifle.
    There's definitely something to be said about designs from the way back when.
    A Garand is truly a fine piece.