1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3" adjustable height trailer hitch assy.

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., Dec 23, 2022.

1. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Everyplace wants to sell me a 2 1/2" billet aluminum hitch, with a sleeve, since I want a rust-free hitch assy. I figure I might as well find a 3". I've got a bunch of rusty old receiver set ups, including a very rusty B&W multi- adjustable, all 2". Time for something new, that is the correct size for my truck, in either aluminum or stainless steel.
    Seeking the beeb's advice...

2. Once a Wanker..

Weigh Safe is the only option I've found so far.

Evad101 likes this.
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I have Weight safe on both my trucks.

4. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

+1 for a Weigh Safe. Have over loaded on occasion and no problems.

I didn't get the ball mount with built in tongue weight scale but plan to get one eventually as having a toy hauler with a 1400# tongue weight gets tricky to adjust when loading. Would be nice to quickly see it on a scale.

5. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

6. Once a Wanker..

Have any stainless steel recommendations?

7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

get the one with no sleeve for sure. something to slop and wear, cause friction, wear, and rust. if you must get steel, just wash, and coat it with wd40, fluid film, woolwax, surface shield, or spray penetrant and wipe clean/semi dry. Ski

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

How much tongue weight and how many different trailers do you anticipate?

My curmudgeony luddite ten cents...
    - Upwards of $500 for a gauged, adjustable drop drawbar might be a deal if you have multiple applications but, for my money, it's overkill for only one or two different trailer heights.
    - Buy the WeighSafe fixed drawbar, $90, and use it as a measuring tool. After loading, swap that drawbar for a steel one in the appropriate drop.
    - If you're not towing upwards of 20K lbs, why spend the money on a Class V 3" steel drawbar, ~$200? Just buy the one(s) that do the job. All that adjustability, in my book, just shows me people will buy anything you sell them even when they have no need for it.
    - As for that gauged, adjustable aluminum ball mount on the aluminum drawbar? Aluminum has a lifespan. That block looks beefy as shit, but the actual interface between it and the drawbar looks suspect to cracking. Hard pass for my money.

sdg likes this.
  9. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I had difficulty finding 3 inch ball mounts so I dug out a few of the sleeves that I had saved ( always kept them when trading trucks) and bought the 2 1/2 inch ball mounts I needed and then tack welded the sleeve to the ball mount to take the little slop that they have out of them.

I do not tow anything real heavy on the ball mounts so I have no worries about them. My heavy trailers are either gooseneck or 5th wheel.

10. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Stainless is not a good material for a trailer hitch, hot rolled steel is the strongest.

TLR67, 5axis and Once a Wanker.. like this.