1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd gen ('04) sv650 airbox question...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by BiZ, Aug 25, 2009.

1. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

So my pathetic performance at VIR had been bothering me, and I started tearing into the SV a bit, in search of additional excuses other then my lack of track time and/or skill. The first thing I noticed, other then the dirt and sand caked on everything (thanks Stillie!) was the airbox wasn't attached and the intake boots were sucked half way into the throttle bodies. I suppose that could explain why the bike was gutless. Then I noticed a few of the connectors weren't plugged into the airbox, and were actually zip tied away as if on purpose. Or maybe it was done during disassembly and forgotten about. Who knows. So before I go plugging everything back in, anyone know if there's any benefit to doing this? The only connector still plugged into the airbox was the one on the left side of the airbox near the back. I believe it's a green plug. Bike has a PC and aftermarket air filter. I believe it has a custom map as well.

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.

2. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I do not understand your comment or question...

If the air box is not fitted properly... Fit it correctly...
    If the plug-ins are disconnected... Connect them...

Some people remove the rubber snorkle... I do not know if you get more air in the motor... Or of you lose performance...

The one I know of, is to remove the PAIR Valve and install a 22 ohms resistor from Radio Shack (5 for 99 cents) And plug in the air hoses...

Did I miss anything?

Luis

3. BiZ

Sorry for not being clear.

Is there any dyno proven benefit or advantage to not plugging some of the connectors into the airbox on a 2004 SV.

Thanks for assuming I'm stupid by the way. No shit the airbox needs to be on there.

:P

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

no. plug in all the connectors. only thing you can do is remove the pair valve on the right side. i didnt remove mine, or wire in the resistor, i leave it plugged in so the ecu thinks its there. i just used caps and plugged the hoses coming out of the pair valve itself. then you need to plug the intakes on top of the valve covers, and you wont have all those hoses laying all over the place. this will make it easier to get the airbox on and off at the same time too, but there's no real benefit.

5. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

Bought another one? :beer:

6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

If its like an SV1000 one sensor is inlet air temperature and another is air pressure. If they are not plugged in you'll potentially get a FI fault, and the even if there is no fault, those variables are not being given correctly to the ECU to inject the correct amount of fuel. Worse is when the ECU defaults to "limp home" mode which is just what it sounds like. Not the ticket for performance. Plug those babies back in.

7. BiZ

Yeah, a couple of weeks ago... I want my old one back! (But you can keep those gold wheels!)

8. BiZ

The FI light was blinking the entire weekend, which I thought was strange. Can we do Cycle Jam over please!

9. Longhair

Longhair Old Foole

Try putting it into "dealer mode" and read the codes. That should tell you what the problem(s) are.

10. dschumann

dschumann why bother...

The snorkel is important to leave on. At Moto-ST last year we ran back to back dyno tests with and without the snorkel and lost 3hp across the range without it.
    Dirk

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

what is air box? :)

track wagon likes this.
  12. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

Booo! :D

(they're faster...)