1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

29dreams.com Racing, TGPR 02/11/01

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by Jeffro510, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

29dreams.com Racing, TGPR 02/11/01: (Long Version!!!!)

Things didn't start off as I had planned, but then again they hardly ever do. I was planning on going to the track all day Friday to get new tires mounted up, and practice till I puked. Well, I got the puking part out of the way early. Thursday night I got the nasty stomach virus that is floating around, and had "spring cleaning" all night Thursday and Friday. So much for the first part of my plan. I slept all day Friday, so I didn't get the truck loaded up. I thought that I was going to be able to go the track Saturday, but that wasn't going to happen either. Saturday afternoon I was starting to feel semi-human again, so I loaded the truck and trailer for Sunday. I ate dinner Saturday night and it stayed in so I went to bed to rest up for Sunday. I headed to the track at around 6:30 am Sunday and thought that I felt okay. When I got to the track I had a hard time finding the gang. Three of my friends (Ryan, Henry, and Louis) were racing for the first time this weekend. They showed up right as I found their pit area, and we set up our stuff. Since my wife Jen was going to be home with both kids alone (we just had our Daughter on 02/02) and I was just getting over being sick, I told her that I would only enter one race. I registered for C-Superbike, race number 2 of the day. I got through tech with no problem, just in time for my first practice. I didn't have the time or the money to mount up new tires, so I ran on the same tires that I did 3 days at the GNF and all day at our track day on. The were pretty toasted but were still controllable. I didn't have electricity so I couldn't run the tire warmers. First practice was taking it REALLY easy. I started off running 1:15's and got down into the 1:08 range. Way off of the pace, but it still whipped me. I came off of the track after first practice and thought I was going to either pass out or puke. Luckily I didn't do either. I was really weak and light headed, but I had already paid for the race so I decided to stick it out. My second practice came around and I got out on the cold tires again. This time I hit it a little harder quicker and dropped down into 1:07's. I could only stay out for 7 laps and had to pull back into the pits. Around lunch time our friend Tim showed up with a truck load of chicken and biscuits, so I ate some and drank a ton of Gatorade hoping to gain some strength back. I took it easy over lunch and was feeling a little better. Louis was kind enough to get some borrowed power from one of his friends so that I could run my tire warmers. Ryan and Henry were in the first race of the day together. It started to drizzle at the start of their race. There was pretty much a light rain falling all through their race. I watched most of their race then got suited up for mine. The track was wet but there was still traction. I was gridded on the second row, and for once I actually got a decent start. Not good, just not bad!!!! I was probably in about 8th out of 20 going into turn one. The worst thing about the old tires was mentally I wasn't confident. They also took a little longer to get up to temperature, so the combination of the 2 along with the hundred other factors meant that I couldn't run as hard as I wanted on the first lap. Quite a few riders got around me and I was running close to last. My first lap was a 1:09. After the first lap I decided to go harder, and dropped down to 1:07 on the second lap. I was keeping pace with a few of the riders and the group wasn't running away as fast as I thought it would. On the 4th lap I passed the rider in front of me and was slowly catching the next guy. One guy got around me on the 5th lap, but I passed him a few turns later. I was running pump gas this weekend instead of the Nutec, and the jetting on the bike didn't seem to like it as much. The bike would bog coming onto the back straight so I was loosing some time there. I managed to drop into the 1:06's but that was all I could do. I finished 15th. Still way off of the pace (leader were running minute flats) but given the way the weekend went, I was happy just to finish. I am really surprised that more people don't run Bridgestone tires. The tires that I raced on this weekend had approx. 60 laps at Road Atlanta on them, and at least 60 laps at a track day in Oct. at TGPR going into this weekend. These tires don't have much left to them, but they were still very predictable and there was still traction once they got up to temperature. New tires and good health and we're on the move!!!! Of course I need to thank all of my sponsors. My wife and kids are first and foremost, but especially my wife. Jennifer just had our daughter on February 2nd, and she still gave me her blessings to go racing. The don't come any better then her. She understands the passion that I have for this sport, and she fully supports me in it. Thanks honey. Big Daddy Greg Calhoun and 29 Dreams Motorcycle Resort. Greg has been a great help in getting me into the 600 class and keeping me in it. Without his help I wouldn't be able to do it. New for this year is 29dreams.com racing. 29 Dreams is a new Motorcycle only campground opening in the Birmingham area. I am proud to wear their banner and represent them at the track. I believe that I will be able to be more competitive as this year goes on and get on the podium. Bridgestone tires, Ferodo brakes, LP USA, Intuitive Race Products, Arai, Traxxion Dynamics, Graves Motorsports, Motoace, In Your Face photography, Mary Lou's Team, Bell's Angels, and the Floribama Riders.

2. rick717

rick717 Member

Congrats for staying out there and finishing on two wheels. Take care of that new baby to.

3. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

Thanks. I'm always glad to just finish!! That is a successful race weekend for me. [​IMG]