1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

250 ninjas in V5?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by grady anderson, Jan 10, 2015.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Depends on how cheaply you can get the wheels and whether you can adapt them yourself or not. Jeff Juskowich used to sell a kit to mount them for ~150 bucks and I have bought wheels for 200 per set (but that takes some digging and patience).

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

that's not as bad as I thought it would be. assuming the kit plus wheels is $400 or so, you could still find a running 250 and put new tires on it for close to $1000...

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

EX500 wheels fit on the old gen with some work. The JeffroJ rear wheel kit + this EX500 wheel is perfect-
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-wheel-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f88684f9&vxp=mtr
    The front wheel is a bit more difficult due to rotor size and offset, but I made a caliper bracket and spacers for my conversion a couple of years ago. Steel plate and spacers, but I don't have any dimensions. Sold the bike. I think that JeffroJ still makes or has the kit. I have a rear kit in my collection if anyone wants it.

I didn't notice any performance advantage to using 17" wheels, but I used the BT003RS tires instead of the 120 front race tires that the new gen guys were using.

4. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

The whole point of 17" rims is the race tires available.

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Even the 003RS is a WAY better tire than any of the 16" bias ply crap that fits on the stock rims (plenty of us have been using the 003RS on the rear).

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If that is the case, then I truly suck as a rider. Or I am much better on sucky bias ply crap tires. There was no difference between my fastest lap time on either the 16 or 17 tires. Maybe half of a second.

Really, I'm not very fast, apparently. And I'm okay with that. But it was a fun exercise to put the EX500 wheels on the 250, just to do it. If it makes someone else faster, then that is even better.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

if I can run 16" wheels and BT45's, I might be out of excuses...

8. sowega

sowega #710

Good luck with that. Now the fronts are usually $200+ alone on eBay, etc

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

The EX500 wheels are considerably heavier than the 250 17" wheels, that works against you. Trailing is where the 16" front will put you on the ground, you can run in so much deeper on the 17" tires.

Deals on Ebay are few and far between, this is true.

10. sowega

sowega #710

I move that we never use Parrish as justification for anything; that dude would be fast on a Schwinn beach cruiser.

11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

^ The Stupid gaybird fudgepackin weeny tucking homo is correct.

12. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I entered V5 on a Ninjette a few times and did pretty well. But as mentioned....real V5 bikes arent racing much.

BTW I got one of my old EX500'S back ;)

13. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

I see nothing in the V6lw rules that make them legal in that class either
    Maybe a supplemental guide to the rulebook would be helpful for those who don't know the rules that you don't see when told to RTFRB
    BTW I have no dog in this fight
    Off season boredom/curiousity

14. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Haha, and here's Parrish walking back after blowing the motor during the Jennings endurance race later that year. That said, his fast lap was ~2s faster on my 08 model when we rode the same race in 2013.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That was so funny, it was like the scene in The Right Stuff where Yeager comes walking back after crashing his plane.

Best 800 dollar bike I've ever owned. :D

16. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

I LOVE having them out there!!! I race V3 and rarely have anyone to race with in my own class, so the V5 bikes are usually my best opportunity for a good battle. At Barber the 250's can keep up enough cornering speed to make them a serious threat for the win in V5, but at all other tracks, the hp of a v5 bike will keep it in front. (assuming somewhat equal riders)

17. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

Here's the next question:
    What about the new 300's that are the new E class (making the 2-fiddy's F)?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. I did the 250's because the old ones fit already. The 300 has plenty of places to play.