1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 hour endurance race at Nelson

Discussion in 'General' started by DucatiBomber, Jan 26, 2017.

1. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

rk97, gpz11 and BEi Racing like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That one was before my time by a couple years, I think the first I did was 88. But then I went to all of them until we had to stop doing them.

There is absolutely nothing like it.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  3. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Why did it stop?

4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

That was cool!

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The bonfires, the scaffolding, the fans. . . holy shitola, it was an EVENT. :)

6. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Oh...I had Pittsburgh track in my head. I see this was Nelson.

7. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

What kind of miracle would it take to do another one of these at any track in the US these days?

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Money, teams, money, a track that could run a 24 hour event and money.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Simple answer money. Money for track improvements (potholes are hard to avoid at night, even at night bikes are too fast for the runoff at Nelson), money for tires for the teams - even lightweight bikes would need 6 full sets. Money for workers - we used to have volunteers for corners, we now pay them 80-100 a day.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cash is all we need. Pretty sure Willow would be on board for it. Just need a lot of cash to pay the bills and have purse money to help the teams cover expenses. $50k should cover it.

11. Dave K has it covered.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

What year was this video? '83? Trying to see if my dad was racing in this one

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Copyright date at the end was 85.

slimjim00 likes this.
  14. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks! Jim and I will watch the video in full after work today to see if he makes an appearance, or possibly Doug Henry/Terry Bailey

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I took video of the 8 hr we did.
    Came out like crap. All you could see was headlights down the main straight.
    Chris Parrish can comment on following one of my riders as he shredded the rear. It was throwing sparks every time he exited a corner :)

16. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Let get under the sofa cushions to see what we got...

dsmitty37 likes this.
  17. They are always on board, we inquired about doing an 8 hour at streets last year, they gave dates us dates, fees and gave us all the info for insurance. Glad it didn't happen as the organizer of the event was an idiot and it would have been a terribly unsafe event.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I need to get over to Streets when we're out there this year at the big track. Been too long since I've checked it out.

19. It's getting worse every year. The bowl has 3 huge dips in it on the race line and there are huge sand castles everywhere that we definitely would knock with our knees. Turn 4 has a speed bump in it thats getting bigger every year and the skid pad I swear gets slicker as time progresses.

I love riding that track, it's still so much fun. The run off is a good distance, I ran off at just over 100mph and didn't hit anything but blew my fork legs out, I'm pretty sure they imported the beach from normandy june 6th 1944...haha.

The whole facility needs a re-pave, big willow being last on that list but they explained it that they can't do the full tracks because of its historic status and they would lose it if they did. Maybe I misunderstood.

20. We changed tires every hour (the stint) at Willow in 99/2000 24 hour. You can do the math.