1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2022 Concours de Competition

Discussion in 'Announcements/Information' started by Mongo, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 12/9/2021
    For Further Information: (770)720-5010

Scott Russell to be Grand Marshal at 2022 Concours de Competition

World Champion Scott Russell will be returning to the WERA paddock as Grand Marshal of the 4th Annual Concours de Competition July 2 at Barber Motorsports Park. The Concours is for road race machinery of 1955- 1997 and is the only event of its kind where the machines must make a minimum number of laps at speed to qualify for the final judged round. Invitations and judging are headed up by Brian Slark of the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum. Scott will ride a 1982 KZ1000 which was raced and preserved by Sam Williams and his family and friends.

Scott Russell said of the plans, “I’m really excited to be named the Grand Marshall for the 2022 Concourse de Competition at Barber Motorsports Park! It’s also special for me to come back to my roots where it all started with WERA in the mid 80’s. The racing was so competitive in the WERA series that it really catapulted me to the big time. I’m also super happy about the opportunity to ride a Kawasaki “Lawson Era” Superbike at this event. I have a special place for Kawasaki and Rob Muzzy and all the success we had together in the 90’s. Eddie was a real inspiration for me throughout my career.”

Evelyne Clark, CEO of WERA “We are excited to welcome Scott back to the WERA paddock. We hope he will provide that same spark to our young racers that propelled him to the world championship. We are especially pleased that he will ride one of Sam Williams vintage race bikes. Sam had the same special love of Kawasaki that Scott has and to see the combination on track again will be wonderful.”

Jeff Ray, Executive Director of Barber Museum, “We at the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum are pleased to offer our continued support for the Concours de Competition. This program encourages collectors to bring out historic racing motorcycles to not only exhibit but to put them back on the track to relive the sights and sounds of racing from another era. As part of the Concours de Competition the owners or “custodians” of these historic motorcycles will be sharing the story of these machines in the WERA paddock where exhibited. To have Scott Russell as Grand Marshal for 2022 is as exciting as the lineup of bikes that are scheduled to participate.”

Steve Delaney, Owner of the ex-Sam Williams 1982 KZ100 grew up next door to Sam and his wife Jan and their sons Eric and Andy. They all enjoyed the mutual road racing camaraderie. “My brother Ray was a life-long road racer and frequent endurance partner with Sam. I am delighted to keep Sam’s spirit alive and share with fellow enthusiasts a wonderful example of early-80s road racing equipment.”

Ron Raven, Concours Organizer, “The galleries of the Barber Museum overlook their world class track. The race bikes need to be seen at speed and heard on the track to complement those on display. This is the show where the old bikes really go.”

The event is by invitation only. If you have a race bike with history that you would display in the paddock and on the track, then contact Brian or Ron. Details are available on the Concours de Competition Facebook page and the WERA website. If you are invited there is no fee for the entrant and crew to participate.
    WERA Motorcycle Roadracing was founded in 1973 and remains the foremost place to develop talent in the sport of motorcycle roadracing. The legacy of Pro Riders on a National and World level is legendary. All events are run by WERA Motorcycle Roadracing with a co-sanction by the AMA and they go coast to coast offering entry level racing with the WERA Sportsman Series as well as a Pro-Am Series which is the Pirelli/WERA National Challenge Series. WERA also offers Vintage Racing and hosts the Concours de ’Competition and Concours d’ Elegance in July at Barber Motorsports Park. Endurance Racing is also on the menu with our partner N2 and runs 4-5 events a year with a Big Bike Endurance and an Ultralightweight Endurance. WERA Motorcycle Roadracing was voted the 2017 AMA Track Organizer of the year.

For more information on WERA Motorcycle Roadracing please check out our web site at wera.com.

Shenanigans, mpusch and E Reed like this.