1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Wera West, how are tracks selected?

Discussion in 'General' started by 05Yamabomber, Oct 6, 2018.

1. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Im new, but wondered how decisions were made. I guess more specifically why dont we race at ChuckWalla? Maybe becuase there is a club racing program there? I would think it would pull in more head count as wild cards if we visited there, and maybe even pull more racers into the Wera West series. I really dont know and there may be an obvious reason that I am unaware. Figured I would ask.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Worried about distance to amenities and hospitals, the track has their own series. Those are the main things.

Hotfoot, track wagon, motion and 2 others like this.
  3. Hospital distance is why I don’t ride or race there. 1.5 hour drive to the hospital or life flights. But I’m being overly cautious. I know people who don’t mind it.

motion likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's my biggest concern. We've had riders live because they're closer to a trauma unit in Vegas where they wouldn't have made it if they had to wait longer. People seem great, track seems cool given the wind and sand (everyone rides the same track so that's not a super big issue at all), but there are some things that just at a gut level worry us.

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I won’t go there for this very reason. I wouldn’t do that to my family.

6. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Are Willow springs or Button Willow closer to a real trauma center? I've never thought of that as a reason as most tracks in southern California other than auto club are in the middle of nowhere. I assumed it was just because CVMA already does their own thing.

7. Willow springs is about 20 minutes to the closest trauma center. Life flight is like 4 minutes.

I forget where buttonwillow trauma center is, I’ve never wrecked there.

Skter505 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes they both are.

Skter505 likes this.
  9. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Bakersfield probably...

One weekend when we were there a rider that needed transport (for some reason Elena Meyers comes to mind but I can neither confirm or deny that memory) and everything was shut down until the transporting ambulance showed up.

10. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Good to know, thanks.

11. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Bakersfield is the closest urban center with multiple hospitals, and is about 30 miles

track wagon likes this.
  12. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I love Vegas!! That's all.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  13. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Haha, I dont want to NOT go to Vegas. I really enjoy it. The Wind seems to follow us to a few locations. In the riders meeting Sunday at LV, Evelyn they were considering a second round for Willow next year. I was thinking why we wouldnt add a different track that is about the same distance from most of the racers. Willow does have Antelope Valley Hospital (I was born there!) but dang that is such a dangerous track compared to others and a day doesnt go by without 20mph winds there. That used to be the only track around to race at 20 years ago. I was so happy when other safer tracks opened up. Just my .02. There is some serious talent that comes out of CVMA, and thought the two could co-exist and bring larger grids to Wera if they tapped into that location also.

14. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

A high desert native, huh? My son was also born there and I lived a sizable chunk of my life at both EAFB and Lancaster. I don't miss those afternoon winds at all but dirt bike riding was pretty sweet back in the day at Edwards. We could pretty much go anywhere in the desert and it was only about a block of side-saddle riding my bike (was supposed to be walking it) from my garage to a trailhead. Good times! :D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  15. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Yes, my Dad was an Air Traffic Controller at EAFB then we moved to El Toro. This was in the 70's. I only remember San Diego. Every time I visit Willow I am thankful I didnt grow up there! Haha. That track was great in the WSMC days and I really learned how to race in the 90's there but its not my favorite track. I have seen many careers end there. Even Chuck Graves on his Valvoline Suzuki.

16. The dirt bike riding up there is still amazing. Was just up in Cantil/California City a month ago.

17. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Two buttonwillow rounds would be awesome. I think more riders would come if it was earlier or later in the year.

18. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Two, two day events, at Big Willow.
    Two, two day events, at Buttonwillow.
    Two, one day events, at ACS,
    Two, two day events at Lost Wages.
    Race twice in March, twice in April, twice in May. Save June, July, and August, for the MotoAmerica (west) rounds.
    Get back to WERA (twice!) in September.
    I like the three day events because I need a track day and a race day to get up to speed, for Sunday. :rolleyes:

Well, what I call ‘speed’ ... :D

track wagon likes this.
  19. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

That would be sweet! Love that track also!

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Issue at Buttonwillow is all the good dates are and have been taken for years. Our current one works better (based on turnouts) than the Mothers Day weekend that we used to run.