1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Dyno comparison (new Gixxer)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Feb 16, 2017.

1. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

Chris - yes, street. Should've specified.

I'm working, so haven't had much of a chance to read through it.

If you search in you App Store for "MCN News", it'll give you an option for a 30 day free trial. After you sign up, you can read the article.

2. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

Broome is correct. The 1299S comes with the auxiliary buttons allowing you to change ONE setting on the fly. The 1299 does not but the buttons can be retrofitted.

I find it handy. If I had the base model instead of the S, it's definitely something I would install. I usually keep it on the TC setting.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Nah. I don't have a single stitch of Suzuki branded apparel. That stuff is all the Ducati, BMW and Harley crowd who dress up.

4. Just damn. :crackup:

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. I just wanted to make sure I captured this. :D

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

That just means you're both wrong. :Poke: :crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

also the tach started at 3,000 rpms. The tail section and light were so tiny... it made a size 34 waist guy look fat! I remember the 2 guys that had them in our town complained about the lack of "creature comforts"...lol.

8. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Track portion results?

9. adrenalist

Finally got some downtime:

Street:
    1st - Honda
    2nd - Ducati
    3rd - BMW
    4th - Yamaha
    5th - Suzuki
    6th - Aprilia
    7th - Kawasaki

Track:
    1st - Ducati
    2nd - BMW
    3rd - Honda
    4th - Suzuki
    5th - Aprilia
    5th - Yamaha
    7th - Kawasaki

(Not a typo. Both Ape and Yam tied for 5th)

Overall (Street & Track)

1st - Honda
    2nd - Ducati
    3rd - BMW
    4th - Yamaha
    5th - Suzuki
    6th - Aprilia
    7th - Kawasaki

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Thats not how i saw this going.
    Is the track based on lap times?

11. adrenalist

Me neither.

They had no real breakdown of how they scored anything. The writeup was extremely lackluster, very short, and nothing technical like we get from Roadracing World. It ended up seeming fan-boyish with sentences (about their proclaimed winner Honda) stating, "It's as velvety smooth and refined as an RC213-VS."

It's pretty hard to take anything serious they say with statements like that.

12. Highly unlikely. And even they were, I don't put much weight (if any at all), on magazine comparison lap times. There are just way too many variables...

- The rider might have a lot more experience on a particular brand (maybe he raced a particular brand throughout his career, and will naturally feel more comfortable and confident on it).
    - Some bikes are better suited for certain tracks.
    - A rider/magazine might be biased towards a certain brand, for one reason or another (like how in some of the Euro magazines, the Triumph 675 can do no wrong, and is the best bike ever).
    - How good/fast is the rider to begin with? If he isn't a Pro level rider, that can click off 10 laps within the same second, and run within at least 5 seconds of the lap record, then how can we interpret his results as any indication of the bike's ultimate performance?
    - Was he allowed to make suspension/geometry/gearing changes to get the bikes working properly?
    - How many laps did he get on each bike?
    - Did the track or ambient conditions change during the test day (it could have been colder during the first test, and grip might not have been as good).
    - Did each bike go out with brand new tires?
    - Some bikes are heavier restricted out of the Factory than others. Even if they ultimately make the same power once an exhaust and ECU flash is done, in bone stock form there might be a 15-20hp difference between them...which means (for us racers) it isn't a true indication of the bike's ultimate speed/performance.
    - Some bike's performance might be completely ruined due to a shitty OEM rear shock or forks, which means that a bike could have the potential to be "the best" in race trim, but it just doesn't shine in stock trim.

I could go on all day.

So really, I don't pay attention to lap times in magazine comparison tests. They are cool to look at and make for good conversation on here, but in the real world, they don't factor in my buying decisions. The only exception might be Rutter's testing, because he tests every bike at the exact same track, takes the time to make setup changes, and does multiple sessions to get the most out of each bike.

13. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Could you please post performance figures and lap times (if any)? Just for the sake of it.

14. Ra.Ge. Raptor

15. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

For MCN Neeves is the only person I pay any attention to.

Steeltoe and Odilup like this.
  16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Honda won. In a gixxer thread and vs all others. So much awesome its hard to grasp right now.

17. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I think it's more akin to "Who's line is it anyway", where the rules are made up and the points don't matter. :crackup:

Pixelator and Gorilla George like this.
  18. Exactly.

No "fixed", tangible scoring system with any facts or basis presented. Just a completely arbitrary, subjective "scoring" based upon how a dude felt right at that moment.

Yeah, no thanks.

I'll wait till RRW and Ulrich get their hands on them, or till Rutter takes them all to the track.

19. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

From all the moto journalism I have read in the last 10 years, the brits love the "Fireblade". To me, the potential is there if Honda would just get serious about building a true contender.

20. For sure. I have noticed that too. They love the Fireblade and the Triumph.

John29 and Bruce like this.