1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Dyno comparison (new Gixxer)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Feb 16, 2017.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

maybe back-of-the-pack WSBK TC. Rea's bike never sounded like that at Laguna. but a few of the slower teams did. u know, active vs reactive TC.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Was that just this past year?

I know Kawi (along with other teams) had to change to a different TC configuration as per the new rules. Kawi used to engage TC by shutting down 2 of the bikes cylinders on corner exit....the bike kinda sounding like a rumbling twin off corners. But the new rules package made that illegal last year I think.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, it's probably at least as good as Ten Kate's Cosworth. :D

Canadian Bacon and 418 like this.
  4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the audible cut means it's "want spec", hell, you can hear a bazzaz that's turned up too much doing the same thing. That said, I remember Colin Edwards saying at one point they requested audible feedback from the TC on the Yamaha GP bikes while he and Rossi we're riding them because they were too smooth and they needed more feedback of when it was working.

iomfan likes this.
  5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i dont rem hearing a noticeable diff btw 2016 and 2017.

IIRC, the main thing they lost w/ the rule changes was the split throttle bodies. theres no limit on what they can do, just what they can use. so i think they can still cut fuel or spark to individual cylinders if they want.

with active TC, the ECU provides a more perfect amount of power for their spin target. less over-spin occurs, so theres a lot less need to cut or reduce power after spin. it was pretty obvious at Laguna that the front runners have their control strategies implemented well and tuned perfectly. maybe towards the end of the race, Rea or Davies' bike produced a tiny little popping. but compared to the backmarkers, it was nothing. the slow guys sounded a lot like the vid from lap 1. i wouldnt be surprised if some of them were still using reactive TC.

:crackup:

im so glad they are finally moving to MM electronics this year.

6. I could be wrong, but I don’t believe it is still legal to cut the bike back to a Twin, then Triple, then re-engage all 4 cylinders the way Kawi used to do it.

I seem to remember Sykes struggling once the rules disallowed that setup/ability.

7. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Impressive video but I'd just like to point out that Rutter started 30 secs later on a stock GSX-R on metzeler M7RR Street tires and at some point well before the end of the lap he caught the BMW. It was a 121mph lap. Then he did a 119mph lap on a stock S1000RR on those M7RR 's as well.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

9. Ra.Ge. Raptor

10. Quick shifter engaging going into corners doesn’t sound fun.

11. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I bit the bullet and bought a new R
    Rumor on the street Suzuki is working on a fix for the Quick Shifter issues.

deathblow, Steeltoe, masshole and 2 others like this.
  12. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I bit the bullet and picked up a new GSXR 1000R. First impression is typical Suzuki good build quality and so easy to work on. I had mine torn down in a couple hours after I got it home from the dealership.

Also if anyone is trying to decide between an base or R model I would recommend going with the R. After talking to a couple suspension guru's they say the Showa BFF forks have much higher build quality than the base Showa BPF (inner/outer tubes). Also the R forks are longer than base mode which is needed to get correct geometry.

Attached Files:

Steeltoe, bacolmm and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  13. Ra.Ge. Raptor

nobody should have to upgrade any part of their braking system on a top-end 2017 sportbike used for what it was mainly designed for,which is amateur track riding.Or even fast road riding.

Wheel Bearing and Gorilla George like this.
  14. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I agree 100% that was a huge miss by Suzuki.
    I believe the problem is still in the crappy master cylinder. Easy $225 fix with aftermarket Brembo but really sucks you can't run one in WERA SuperStock class.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  15. :stupid:

If someone buys a cheap, LWT streetbike and then plans on racing it, that’s a whole different story.

But we shouldn’t spend $16-24k on a “Superbike”, then immediately have to upgrade or fix anything.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  16. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

On the other side of the fence I did not let a $250 upgrade hold me back from deciding on the GSXR. The crappy master cylinder only really affects the guys that want to run WERA SuperStock.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All the people with working stock masters must be truly lucky :D

18. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Who knows maybe the fade is in the OEM rubber lines and master is fine on the new GSXR 1000.

Was anyone running up front on a new GSXR 1000 in WERA superstock last year?
    It is hard to tell if the OEM master is decent because every other racing organization allows aftermarket master cylinder in SuperStock which is a cheap upgrade to gain so much better brake feel/power.

19. Ra.Ge. Raptor

It is the nissin radial m/c. Suzuki replaced every single one of them on every 2004 on-wards GSXR.

"The brake piston inside the front brake master cylinder of some motorcycles may not have received adequate surface treatment to prevent corrosion. Corrosion of the brake piston generates gas, which may not be adequately purged from the master cylinder due to the side position location of the reservoir return port"

Surprisingly ,no other manufacturer fitting nissin m/c's had any problem with them (BMW,Honda and/or others)
    Apparently there's still an issue with them.

I fitted a complete 2011 CBR (blasphemy :crackup:) front brake set on my 2006 GSX-R 1000 (monoblock calipers and m/c) and never looked back.

20. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Bookmarked. This is what I'll be watching before each race in 2018; push back that mental envelope.
    F'n unicycle.