1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Dyno comparison (new Gixxer)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

It's the noise regulations that made Suzuki limit the throttle blades opening to 68% for the US market only. There's an earlier episode where Brock removes this limitation only, not messing up with anything else. The gain is around 25-28 rwhp.

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Not exactly hard to do when it's super choked up to begin with. :Poke:

3. Great point, ones tied into the other as well. Reducing noise means reducing throttle, means reducing emissions. I've seen some of the before and after emissions data from just a flash and it's quite a large gap. Bikes are just making so much power and regulations are getting pretty tight they have to neuter the crap out of them just to have is squeak by. It's a very tough balance to produce a bike that meets emissions but can perform without them and is a fine line with CARB and the EPA. Electronics are a wonderful thing, that's for damn sure.

4. That along with putting the CAT in the exhaust can. It makes it so easy to get big HP. It’s been going on for a while now, even the 2011 ZX10 gained 20+HP just from an ECU reflash and slip-on.

The noise/emissions tests are done at 1/2 of max HP RPM. So rather than making a weaker motor, they just limit the throttle output up top and lower the max HP RPM (thereby lowering the test RPM...allowing it to pass).

Then reflash the ECU to remove the limit on the throttle bodies, slap on a slip-on to remove the CAT and boom...20+HP.

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Is this how you are test riding potential new bikes now?

418 likes this.
  6. Absolutely. :D

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  7. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

All this makes me wonder if they will ever just start selling track only bikes. Can you imagine picking up a new bike that doesn't need to pass any government scrutiny. The manufacturer could make a deal with an exhaust supplier, etc, and be tuned unrestricted from the gate. The savings of stuff you are just going to take off and throw away would make it interesting.

8. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Honda already sells a CBR sp 2 (iirc) track only edition

media.motoblog.it%2Fe%2Fe77%2Fhonda_cbr_1000rr_sp2_fireblade_track_only-3.jpg

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

BMW, Aprilia and Ducati do as well

HP4 Race

[​IMG]

RSV4 FW GP

[​IMG]

1199RS

[​IMG]

WANABE RACER likes this.
  10. Ra.Ge. Raptor

These 3 are high end race bikes where the Honda is a cheaper than basic edition track bike,closer to what @Bruce described

Bruce likes this.
  11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I didn't say they were economical.....I just said they existed :crackup::D

12. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Ok I knew about the ape and bmw, but what I was eluding to was a bike priced a lot lower lol! Not so high end but something the fast club racer would want and could afford.

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Kind of like when Ducati cleaned out the parts bins with the 1000 ds

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

For racing or track safety, the Honda still needs a belly pan. Not sure about the Duc.
    Either way, buyin' any of these track bikes still leads to buyin' other stuff.
    I'd go for the Honda...<$25K. You couldn't build a competitive SS class weapon for that money and get all that comes on the SP2.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Holy Crap! Not too many minutes into it and I'm thinkin', man, that thing is stupid strong, front wheel in the air at the slightest provocation. I mean, it just lofts for no apparent reason other than power, in any gear! When he comes out of the Craig and it's like he can't get it to come down no matter how many gears he goes through, I'm wonderin' how hard it was to ride. :D
    Uh, and yeah, that's unbelievably sick speeds for a course like that. WTF is wrong with them guys? :crackup:

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It's also got nearly WSBK-spec (I think) traction control. As you can audibly hear.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

There were three or four of them on the grid at Macau.

20. 418

418 Expert #59

IIRC in Japan they already sell track only bikes. No exhaust, no bodywork, etc,

Bruce likes this.