1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 KTM 65 SX motard conversion

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by warclok, Jul 6, 2021.

1. warclok

warclok Well-Known Member

hey guys, I tried searching first, didn't find anything. I am looking to pickup a 2016 KTM 65 SX, and want to convert it to a mini super motard for myself, until my son 4 yr old son is rdy to ride it.

Can you point me in the right direction for wheels and tire conversions, I believe I am looking at 12inch rims front and rear correct?

Anything else I need to do to get the bike setup besides suspension fork and rear shock springs?

Thanks, Ruben

2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I have an '08 65 SX, it's uncommon enough that I haven't been able to find anything off the shelf. You can buy the mag wheels that everyone is using, but you'll be finding your own bearings, making your own wheel spacers, caliper brackets, basically custom fabricating everything except the wheels, tires, and rotors themselves.

The fork springs were custom wound and then reground by the suspension shop because the OD was above spec, and the valving kit that Marzocchi used to make are discontinued. The sprockets are off the shelf, but I had to countersink the bolts for swingarm clearance to achieve the proper chain line.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably just get a KX65 that's already been converted.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    warclok likes this.
  3. warclok

Good lord, sounds like a PITA!!! Maybe things have changed since you converted yours?

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Well, I'm still converting (a year in)... :)

It hasn't been my primary project, but I'm on one of the last pieces to get it running, which is the rear caliper bracket/rotor spacing.

I know the newer ones have updated forks, axles, and brakes, I don't think it's gotten any easier though. You might be able to get kits that use brakes from bigger bikes, but you have to check clearances.

warclok likes this.
  5. warclok

Ok thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

warclok likes this.
  7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I can sell you one already converted for what your hubs and wheels will cost. I tried to upload a picture but it didn't work.

warclok likes this.
  8. dmeyerutah

dmeyerutah USBA365