1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 Honda Odyssey Start issues

Discussion in 'General' started by Jack Brock, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

Damn thing is trying to leave us stranded up in the mountains 9 hours from home and 70 miles from a Honda dealer. We've had it 2.5 years, but with 43k it is out of warranty so Honda is no help. Anyway, Key fob worked fine to unlock and open sliding doors, but for some reason the ignition didn't recognize the key. Displayed 2 idiot lights that looked like keys. I replaced the battery, and still didn't work. Uber driver said did you hit the key? I said no, don't have my hammer with me...lol! Anyway, tapped the key on the console and the damn thing started. I am not confident it is resolved though, and the wife is supposed to take the kids around in it tomorrow. Anyone know anything about this or maybe there is a Honda tech on here? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

@Johnny B
    I think he is a Honda tech. Otherwise try Oddy Club forum for possible answers.
    That's pretty disconcerting that the key stopped working.
    Hit me up if the there is anything I can do on this end.

3. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Regular key or one push start fob?

4. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

If the dash indicator that looks like a key is green and keeps flashing, the chip needs to be programmed to the immobilizer.

5. Jack Brock

Thanks Johnny. Push Start button. I had a feeling that was probably the answer. It is working for now. Hoping and praying it continues, at least until we get home.

6. Jack Brock

Say a prayer! I'm probably being punished for not seeing my buddy Rollin enough:) This is the first year we have ever done a Spring Break vacation in 23 years of marriage. Damn Honda trying to spoil it...lol!

Rising likes this.
  7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Will do.
    Yeah, it's been awhile since we have gotten together. I was feeling a bit guilty about that myself.

8. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Just had a Nissan Ultimate Budget rental car with the push button start to fail repeatedly to recognize the key and leave us temporarily stranded. The door locks would work with the key fob but when pushing the start button a message would come up on the screen that the key wasn’t recognized as being associated with the vehicle! The thing that saved us was if you locked and unlocked the doors with the key fob first, then pushed the start button, it would usually start. I’ve had a Honda Odyssey since 2001, and my present 2008 i’ve had going on 10 yrs now; I don’t know what i’m going to do about my next one if these idiot electronics keep ruining a perfectly good vehicle. And don’t even get me started about the cars that automatically shut off when you stop at a light!!!